Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   '98 LS1 Headers/Cutouts (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/98-ls1-headers-cutouts-66810/)

YoungDriver 12-16-2011 01:03 AM

'98 LS1 Headers/Cutouts

It's been a long time since I've been on here :icon_razz: but I have a few questions, if anyone could help me out that'd be great!

First off, I have an LS1, with a Magnaflow catback exahust, SLP lid, and basically no other mods.

I want headers/electronic cutouts but I'm not sure how to go about this.

1) I've found a set of Pacesetter mid-length headers for 219.00, and was wondering if this was a good choice for headers. I don't know if i want full length, as i don't want to bottom out all the time (not sure if that's correct or not). Also, will this hook up and work correctly with a magnaflow catback/electronic cutouts

2) Would I need to buy a double electronic cutout system, or single? And where does the electronic cutout dump out? Directly behind headers, or farther down the line? I've found a set of electronic cutouts for 240 for duals.

Any suggestions/hints/ideas would be awesome! Thank you!

JGuy07 12-16-2011 01:09 AM

You won't really be bottoming out with LT's unless you take big speed bumps at a good pace. If you have decent roads in your area then you should have nothing to worry about. Get LT's.

YoungDriver 12-16-2011 01:40 AM

These are the LT's I was looking at:

Hedman Hedders 68534 - Hedman Street Hedders - Overview - SummitRacing.com

These are the electronic cutouts:

JEGS Performance Products 30833 JEGS Electric Exhaust Cutouts

Yooper Z28 12-16-2011 01:46 AM

I have LTs and three inch exhaust on "Chamille" AND she is lowered. If you make a fist and place the ball of your fist on your desk - THAT - is how much clearance I have. There is only one speed bump that I know of around where I live that I just brush when I drive over it so I just avoid it. I honestly have had more issues brushing my air dam or nose on places that have too great of an angle of approach. I would go with the LTs and just adjust your driving habits as needed.

JGuy07 12-16-2011 02:09 AM

If you're unsure about clearance and still want LT's, then take a looks at Kooks. They are def more pricey but worth it, they are known for being the tightest fit against the underbody.

Failed Devices 12-16-2011 06:07 AM

Midlengths won't net you much of an increse on a LS1. Longtubes or go home. If you want clearance, go BBK. They are LT's but tuck up very neatly and their ORY is 2.5" off the collectors for better clearance.

You only need one cutout after the merge in the y pipe. You are slo going to want a quality name-brand maker like DMH. I see complaints all the time on ls1tech of various brand cutout motors crapping out.

RFxCamaro 12-16-2011 12:09 PM

i have mid length (keep in mind i have a 3.8 v6) i still dont have the best clearance so if your worried about scraping just getting mids shouldn't be much or any better. I say go Long or nothing.

YoungDriver 12-16-2011 02:06 PM

Ahh alright, well I'll get LT's then and a good brand name cutout. This brings up more questions :P

If everything is stock in front of the cat, what diameter LT's do i need? I'm assuming the 2.5 should work with stock?

Also, is it bad that the single dump will go after the Y pipe? Isn't that the most restrictive part of the exhaust? Wouldn't you want it in front?

Failed Devices 12-16-2011 04:28 PM

What do you mean size? The primaries (tubes off each individual cylinder) are either 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" for most brands for LS1's. 1 3/4" is plenty for bolt on and mild camn cars, no worries there. The collectors(where all 4 primaries merge together) are 3". As long as your y pipe has a good merge, it isn't holding you back. A 3" pipe is plenty of flow for a stock cube LS1 and then some.

YoungDriver 12-16-2011 06:42 PM

Perfect! So I guess my best bet is some LT's with a single Electronic cutout and that should do it. From the sounds of it everything should hook up to my stock system. Thanks for all the help!