97 Z28 LT1 Water pump question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:01 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club
Default 97 Z28 LT1 Water pump question

on my 97 anniversary i just went through the "fun" job replacing plugs,wires,cap and rotor in the opti. i also replace the water pump and im glad i did because the bearing that the shaft is connected to was coming apart. when i checked the seals on the timing chain cover they looked dry and good so i left them in. i put everything back together and got the car running and it was running good. i parked the car and over night it leaked oil in about 2in circle. so i pulled just the water pump and the seals on the timing cover were still dry. my main question is there a oiling hole in the shaft the comes out the motor the lubes the little connecter and the o rings are needed? i have new o rings but i want to make sure that is my problem before i put it back together.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

no hole, if there was no trail of oil leading to the seal or shaft i would not look there for the issue. follow the trail and youll find the leak.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since the two things you fiddled with that have oil seals were the water pump and opti, make sure the opti seal isn't the leaker.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:11 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

well there is oil on the new water pump the has a perfect line where it has been thrown up. it looks like the oil has come up the through the shaft and out the on the water pump side of the shaft. the seals on the timing chain cover are still dry and show no leaking. at all because i cleaned the area when it was off the first time. i was just curious because i went out and bought a haynes manual on the car and they show changing an oring on the shaft on the motor but not on the water pump. if there is no hole what is the oring for?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There is an o-ring on the engine shaft, and on the water pump. I replaced both of mine (came with the gasket set), and also greased up both splines just in case leaving them dry would cause any noise/squeak. I never questioned why the o-rings, except for maybe them keeping the driveshaft a snug fit on both ends. Your oil pump seal may be leaking now, because you "messed" with stuff.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:45 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

where is the oil pump seal on the LT1? from what ive seen of the oil the has sprayed a perfect line around the the shaft on the upperside of the water pump makes me beileve that there is oil running in the shaft. there was no oil on the shaft seal and the opti seal looks like its dry as well.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

This is a pic of mine. The seal is the one sealing the output shaft, with the red on it. When I did mine, I looked and there wasn't a hole at the end of that splined shaft (you can see the indentation). Besides, it wouldn't make sense to allow oil to get into the connector shaft when it has nowhere to go and nothing to oil.

Name:  SealInstalled.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  18.1 KB

Old 10-24-2011, 04:14 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

thats what been thinking but then why is there no oil on the motor at or around that seal but there is oil around the shaft on the water pump un less there is oil in the connecter and with the motor running creating pressure to push it towards the pump and push it out there. if there was no oil in the shaft then there should be oil around and under the seal on the cover but there isnt any. there is some below there but i think that is blowback from the water pump. ill have to look again but i dont think its the opti seal either. this leak really has me stumped.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The only thing I can think of then, if it is in fact coming from the connector shaft, is if your seal at the timing cover is leaking and blowing oil straight into the shaft. But the shaft can only take in and let out oil if the o-rings are shot, which they probably are. It would be a stretch for that to happen, and without leaving a trail at the timing cover, but not impossible I spose.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

well i got the car back together with new o rings and let it warm up and run and the sit and no new oil on the floor so i think there is oil that runs in the shaft.

Quick Reply: 97 Z28 LT1 Water pump question