97 Camaro RS water in engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Default 97 Camaro RS water in engine

Ok so before I get any lectures I know it was dumb, and no I didn't see the water i was very dark. It rained really bad and I hit waist high water. I kept going knowing it wasnt good to stop. The car died and I tapped the key to see if I could get lucky. Nothing. I pushed it out of the water and had it pulled home. After that I did some basic research and found I needed to well let me just skip a little. Basically I took the plugs out turned the engine and put iodium ones in it. When I drained the oil originally there was no water in it at all. Today when i changed it straight chocolate milk. I am getting a spark on the cylinders but it really sounds like its out of gas. It has a nice clean crank no knocking or banging just wont get that extra spark. I can also smell gas quite well when i do try to start it. I also found a somewhat good amount of water in the intake manifold about an inch and it was in the air filter chamber the filter was wet so i replaced it and the new filter is wet as well now so i assume water is still hitting the air filter just not sure where. When I did crank the engine with all the plugs out not much water came out. Could there be water in the gas somehow that would cause this or does it sound worse. I cant get the car to start at all and it's been drying for well over a week now. Any suggestions? I work two full time jobs and go to school full time so I need to get this car running, plus the original engine only has 136k on it. I will not take it to a shop bc they seem to mess cars up or require your first born. Just tell me what to do and I can do it.(I am intermediate when it comes to cars. I learned on a 62 Ford Falcon)

Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like you sucked a bunch of water up the intake. take your plugs out again and check for any moisture. only takes a little on the electrodes. check for moisture on the plug wires at both the plug and coil ends. if you have access to a compression gage test the compression in all the cylinders.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 AM

I've actually replaced the plugs 3 times now. The first time all the plugs were fouled, the second was a fuel water mix. It really sounds great trying to start and at the coils we removed the plug wires and its producing a blue spark so i know its not electrical. Tomorrow I'm going to put treatment in the tank with some hope its just water in the tank.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it can be a pita to get mosture out of the intake side. only takes a drop to foul a plug. if you are turning the motor over without plugs in then its flooding the system with fuel. you need to take the injector fuses out before hand. if you sucked enough water into a cylinder you can bend a valve real easy so a compression test would be a good thing to rule that and blown head gasket out.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Cut and paste from your other post.

The list of things that could be wrong is very long. The list of things that will go wrong in the next 12 months is even longer. There is a reason insurance companies total cars that have seen more then 16 inchs of water and its not because they like buying people new cars.

Every sensor, every connector, every accuator can have water in it. Heck many of the items can not be taken apart and dried they will just need replaced. You might get it running again but it will be non-stop trouble till the day you sell it or junk it. Is that gas in your gas tank?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM

*UPDATE* Today we added HEET to the gas take. After about an hour we got the car started with the gas pedal pushed down. It dies when I take my foot off the gas. Everything sounds normal. Nothing seems to be knocking or banging or remotely any different before it just doesnt stay running unless my foot is on the gas. I can also hear a crackle kinda like peroxide when you put it on a wound coming out of the drivers side header.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would think your maf did not like the water. test it or have it tested. look at number 7 on the list in the second post here, https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...rt-here-38462/ they are very sensitive so it would not surprise me if its toast.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 AM

It better not be toast those ****ers are expensive and I just bought it 3 weeks ago haha but ill check it out for sure and yes they are very sensitive

Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Thumbs up

I like that post thought that answers my next three projects before i started. Yay instructions lol

Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Play with getting it running but do not put any money in it. Waist deep means the car was almost completely under water unless your a midget. If your car was one week old and it was in waist deep water your insurance company would total it. It is simple NOT worth fixing. Even to the tune of 20K. I have seen guys fight for months chasing one problem after another, sure your in a tight spot now and need the car and maybe you spend a few hundred bucks and can get it running and next week while you are on a major road it dies again. Now you have to get it towed. Another hundred bucks in parts you get it running for two weeks this time then you start all over again. In the end you will wish you had all the money you spent trying to get this thing running to put down on another car.

This happened to a good friend of mine when I was a mechanic and before I really understood how much can go wrong with a flood car. He loved his 84 firebird. I had about 4 hours in it to get it running and about 60 hours worth of work over the next 6 months before we pulled the plug. He had the car towed home no less than 4 times. Between tows and parts he had about $1,000 in it and that is with all my labor free. Rusty and muddy connector will forever haunt this car. That was back in 88 since then I have seen this battle fought many times always with the same result.

Insurance companies know it not worth trying to fix a flood car, I know it now and 6 months from now you will know it too.

Is that tranny fluid in the trans? You know what water does to a tranny? Any idea what dirty water does to one?

Quick Reply: 97 Camaro RS water in engine