Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   96' 3.8l-Cranks & "Somtimes" Starts (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/96-3-8l-cranks-somtimes-starts-75794/)

96WhiteStallion 11-12-2013 06:36 PM

96' 3.8l-Cranks & "Somtimes" Starts

Well as I type this my car is parked at the local Pizza Hut waiting to be revived again :'( So here's the deal:

The car cranks, i hear the fuel pump turn on, and the relay underneath the driver side dashboard. And there is at least 4 gallons of gasoline. Sometimes it starts up and other times it just cranks.

I was told by a mechanic to turn they ign. key on/off 3 times to build up fuel and then try cranking. I did try this "trick" for a week or so and it seemed to start up fast but now it's not much help. According to the mechanic, he said the problem is probably due to the fuel regulator.

Side note: its been about a year since i've changed the spark plugs and wires. Car also drives smooth.

ANY INPUT would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Massey 11-12-2013 08:00 PM

Well 4 gallons of fuel is not much to keep the pump cool. How often are you driving like this? Fuel cools and lubricates the pump so running at 1/4 tank or lower is a good way to get to know your fuel pump. As for the "trick" yes that could mean a FPR is going out or the pump is not pushing enough pressure. You need to get a fuel pressure tester and check it out to see for sure. It should be about 55-65 LBS by the end of the charge period and hold losing no more than 10 LBS in 10 seconds after the pump shuts off. If it does not hold then you take a vacuum pump and connect it to the FPR and pump it up. Does it hold a vacuum? If not it is bad, if it does see if the fuel pressure changes, with the FPR pumped up you should only build 45-50 lbs on a good pump.

Massey

96WhiteStallion 11-12-2013 09:30 PM

GP Sorensen/Fuel Pressure Regulator (800-319) | 1996 Chevrolet Camaro 6 Cylinders K 3.8L SFI OHV | AutoZone.com

Do you know if the FPR is near the fuel rails/or towards the top rear of the engine? or is it assembled with the fuel pump? Thanks for the info. I'll try it out.

Massey 11-12-2013 10:19 PM

If my memory serves me right it is attached to the end of the fuel rail near the return line. My 3800 was a 99 so I had a different intake set up than you have. Just look for the part that looks like the part you linked (it will be screwed into the rail) and it will also have a vacuum line attached. This type of regulator is always on the engine some where near the fuel lines or fuel rail. On the tank type are usually pop off valve regulated (to prevent overpressuring the system) or they will be electronic (no vacuum lines). The pop off valve type are rarely used any more and the electronic type are mainly used on newer vehicles with more advanced fuel injection systems.

Massey

96WhiteStallion 11-13-2013 10:31 AM

So heres the update:
Tried to start it again last night but nothin. I believe there is no fuel getting to the engine for this reason: I pressed the valve on the fuel rail and no fuel sprayed out when I had a buddy of mine turn the ign. key to the 1st position.

I would think if there is no fuel getting to the engine then there is no fuel pressure, and no fuel pressure indicates a failed fuel pump??

Massey 11-13-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 96WhiteStallion (Post 681903)
I would think if there is no fuel getting to the engine then there is no fuel pressure, and no fuel pressure indicates a failed fuel pump??

DING DING DING!!!

You are a winner... BOB tell him what he won!

Well Chuck, you win a trip to the auto part store, and while you are there you get to put your hands on a... BRAND NEW FUEL PUMP!!!

OK sorry I just had to do the game show announcer on that one. Yea sounds like a dead pump.

Massey

96WhiteStallion 11-14-2013 09:41 AM

damn!! lol Buying a new fuel pump, not a problem. Looking for a mechanic that will do the job, problemo. Whats the price on a job like this?

Gorn 11-14-2013 09:52 AM

You sure you don’t want to do the job yourself? A mechanic is going follow the book which includes dropping the rear axle and exhaust then the fuel tank. I have seen that cost close to $1000 depending on the type of fuel pump.

If you do it yourself and you don’t mind cutting a whole in your floor you can do it in a ½ hour and make up a little door so you can change is again if need be. Some cars come with this trap door from the factory. There is a detailed thread the shows where to cut.

96WhiteStallion 11-14-2013 11:16 AM

Fuel Pump Trap Door Mod---PICS! - LS1TECH

Is that the thread you were talking about? I would do this mod but the thing is I dont have a cutoff wheel.

Gorn 11-14-2013 12:48 PM

So does that mean your going to pay a mechanic $1000 to avoid buying a $15 grinder and a $1 cutoff disk? or are you scraping the car?

4-1/2" Angle Grinder