96 3.8L camaro Cylinder 6 misfire mystery

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Exclamation 96 3.8L camaro Cylinder 6 misfire mystery

I have a 96 Camaro, V6 3.8L engine, recently the car started running pretty bad so I had the check engine codes checked and it told me misfire on cylinder six. I changed the plug which was burnt, the wire which had melted, and the coil which looked fine. The code still comes up and I am unable to start the car somtimes. Previous to the check engine light the car would shut off in traffic and the only thing showing was a check gages light, and whenever I accelerated the engine would click until I let off the gas. If anyone knows what the prob;lem might be or a good place to start looking please say so, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, my baby wants to drive!

Last edited by Wantstodrivee; 02-04-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Anyone! I need feedback!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:54 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I would start with figuring out why the plug wire was melted.

What other checks have you done?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 PM

I haven't really checked anything else, im trying to do this repair myself if possible.

Last edited by Wantstodrivee; 02-05-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

OK, well. Try to figure out why the wire melted. Also, you mentioned a click in the engine and the car died in traffic. Could be related but we will see. When was the last tune up/ oil change? Where is the oil level? I have a feeling it might be low. Did the car over heat?

If you want to fix this yourself you will need to get a shop manual. Chiltons is the better one, haynes might be all you find though. Also did you have the codes cleared?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:51 PM

Hmm its about due for an oil change ill start there, I did the last tune -up recently.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Overdrive Member

When you say the plug was "burned" do you mean it had black carbon build-up on it, or was it a red color?

I agree with CPL, you need to figure out why that wire was melted. Was it in the stock routing location such that it wouldn't melt on exhaust or anything, or has it been moved? Was it especially close to anything when you took it off?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:04 PM

No it the boot that fits around the spark plug melted to the plug, when I removed the plug it had black build up on it. There was a problem with coolant I had which might have been why my car overheated...

Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

hmmmm. Carbon and fouling on the outside of the plug causing the boot to be melted to the plug. I am thinking maybe the plug wasnt all the way in the plug hole. Thats would explain the missfire, I am assuming the plug in question was #6.

You are changing the oil soom, I would recommend changin out air and oil filters, oil additive, new wires and plugs while you are at it. you said a tune up was done recently however, you will be doing this yourself and you will know what was done and how... it will be a learning experiance... unless you are already exparianced with this... then just some self assurance.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Overdrive Member

Did the tip of the plug have any black build-up on it?

I once again agree with CPL, you should probably do a full tune up (although I would leave out the oil additive), change all the plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter etc.

If you still have the plug and the melted wire and you can take a picture it may help us determine what went wrong.

Quick Reply: 96 3.8L camaro Cylinder 6 misfire mystery