95z Will only run off a jump/ dies when you pull the cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 95z Will only run off a jump/ dies when you pull the cable

Ok guys, My Project is finally running and driving but I ran into a problem.

I bought a brand new battery a month ago and all seemed fine. Put the battery in and she fired right up, I started it multiple times the first day i bought the battery and it was good to go every time (about 10 starts in an hour). Now I also moved it around the yard/ driveway over the next 2 weeks give or take with no problems starting.

All of a sudden I had nothing at all. So a buddy jumped it with his jeep who has a very large electrical system (5 batteries and a 270amp alt) ...... We tried to jump it with a set of cables and all I got was a starter click, we added a 2nd set to jump it and it started up. I dont understand why I need 2 cable to jump either? (p.s used both sets before to jump other cars and it did without any problems so they arent just the cables)

So we let it run and let my battery charge and we pulled a set of cables and it continued to run then as soon as we pulled the 2nd set the car shut off with out any charge on the battery.

I dont believe it is my alt (I had it rebuild at an auto electrical shop and they put in new brushes, regulator, and back bearing)

I am stuck at what can be wrong, it isnt making sense to me, Im assuming it could be bad battery power and grounds but i have no clue, can anyone shed a little light on this it would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Sure does sound like a bad alternator to me.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Same here, that or super jumping it might have fried the battery, even then though if the alternator was working it would try to charge. Does it die when running or on the next start? Have you noticed any burnt wires or light sockets or anything like that?

Last edited by JoshMan; 10-10-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoshMan
Same here, that or super jumping it might have fried the battery, even then though if the alternator was working it would try to charge. Does it die when running or on the next start? Have you noticed any burnt wires or light sockets or anything like that?
I highly doubt that the Jeep has the batteries in series. There would be no frying of the battery or electrical system during the jump.

There is either a dead short, bad battery, a bad alternator or a combination of either.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

....Or a bad exciter wire that isn't exciting the alternator (activating the voltage regulator).
Gee, I hope nobody ^ asks how one gets their alternator "excited".
Do you have a test meter? With the engine running, check your voltage both at the battery, and at the alternator output.
That will help to narrow things down.
Gee, I hope nobody ^ puts the terms "narrow" and "excite" together to create a double maening!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear member

Wow it sounds like you have my cars identical twin. Do you all remember me going through that? It happened after using the exciter wire lol. It had a one wire alternator in the first month I had it. Once we replaced the alternator to one that was suppose to be in, we had to use the exciter wire and that's where everything went down hill. For me, my mess originated from someone molesting the wiring. We had that mysterious yellow wire that had to be hooked to the battery at first or it wouldn't run. Then they moved it to the frame of the car and now after about $2K of molestation reversal, it's not there at all.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is the battery charged up? have battery tested. clean the battery terminals and cable ends. most common cause for what you are seeing is a bad connection at the battery. wire brush the heck outa the terminals on the battery and the cable wire ends. also check and clean the wire ends at the power junction box (small red box on the passenger side fenderwell) and while your at it do the ground wires at the ground junction.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
....Or a bad exciter wire that isn't exciting the alternator (activating the voltage regulator).
Gee, I hope nobody ^ asks how one gets their alternator "excited".
Do you have a test meter? With the engine running, check your voltage both at the battery, and at the alternator output.
That will help to narrow things down.
Gee, I hope nobody ^ puts the terms "narrow" and "excite" together to create a double maening!!!
I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about

Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah..........right!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

he's saying that maybe the problem is that the exciter wire got too hot from being alternated on with an object that is way too narrow

it probably melted

Quick Reply: 95z Will only run off a jump/ dies when you pull the cable