95 3.4 5spd handful of issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Default 95 3.4 5spd handful of issues

I just paid 1800 cash for a dark repaintedgreen/blue tone 95 3.4 manual t-tops viper alarm $200 pioneer headunit prewired for amp with what sounds like nice speakers in door. New clutch, and alternator, tires, cold A/C. 148k on odometer ... has a tow package on back too :-O

I changed out all wires and plugs, seafoamed using brake booster but only one little puff came out of the exhaust and i poured half a cup in the gas tank which had half a tank of 93 octane.

The gauges read 16volts under full load and the oil moves much better and in the high range and it idles at 1000rpm except for 5 mins after I tuned up it idled at 600 but went back like always. The plugs that it came with had been worn down and one was wet and it was running off of 5 cyclinders because one wire practically fell apart after i touched it.

It also has noticable exhaust leak out of the left manifold and part of the broken loose gasket pops out when revving while i'm looking at it.

After what I have done and a hundred miles of driving it still hesitates when given gas.It loses about a quart of coolant 100 miles and the oil smells liek the seafoam i put in it but i had changed the oil afterwards. It is burning coolant because steam and water drops out of the exhaust. BUT when it heats up with the coolant filled and the cap off and i rev it hard no bubbles or any movement. If i give it alot of gas while looking at the engine it sputters faintly a couple times then guns off and its annoying when getting into the gear and it feels a little weak. Plus i think it still doesnt always run on all 6 cyclinders. I pulled all the plugs after the tune up and a couple hundred miles and they are white and one has a little carbon or black etc. I dont think its getting good mileage either as i only can get 40mpg per what looks like a 1/4 tank.

So where should it idle... how can i help my oil from smelling like gas and my mileage, where is my coolant going ( my bro had a ford ranger 4.0 blow gaskets and crack heads and i broke it down completely and saw how that worked with the coolant flying out the exhaust but the camaro is nothing like that)

It runs very cool. just above the 160 degree mark even on the highway for an hour from when i bought it and i know its from it only running on 5 cyclinders but it pulls good still .. maybe its because i was used to a ford probe gt 5spd.. anyways it has ran at full temp when it did run on all cyclinders for a breif day and i really need this as a daily driver.

Another thing i found is a 3 wire plug that isn't connected to anything near the dipstick that comes from the front of the engine and i don't see anything it could possibly connect to. if someone has a picture of the bay around that area i would appreciate that and any other suggestions as i already have become fond of this 5 cyclinder exhaust poppin steamin hot/cold camaro! its one of a kind and looks good doing it :P

i conveintly live 5 miles from a large junkyard and have several hand tools etc but do pc repair and would trade knowledge..

thanks

Old 05-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: 95 3.4 5spd handful of issues

Do a compression check, if it looks normal, check the intake manifold gaskets as they are known to break down and leak on the 3.4s.