94 z28 camaro 5.7l engine gets hot when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 10:50 AM
Default 94 z28 camaro 5.7l engine gets hot when stopped

1994 5.7 6 speed coupe 61,000 miles

Hi all dont know my way around a car but have this issue with the car will start up everytime and seems to run good but after about 10 min of driving if I am in traffic or waiting for a light the car seems to get up to almost 260 (on gage 260 is red and the line before 260 is where my car gets to) it has not over heated but the temp worries me. Then when I start to drive the temp gradually goes down. Then back At a stop same thing. I'm thinking either the Radiator or water pump. Any other suggestion?

Also after the car turns off it either smells hot or burning but not as much as burning as maybe just hot.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:41 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sound like your coolant fans are not working.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep agree with gore, check fans, if they are coming on then check/change thermostat, if that's not it I would say the radiator is plugged. I had a issue with heating up durning hot weather and stopped in traffic and had to turn on the heater to keep it down,,,, lol, both windows wide open and roasting my but off. problem was either the thermostat or I had air in the system

Last edited by craby; 04-06-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:46 PM

I'll look into that cause when I bought it it was sitting for 10 years then sent to a dealer they put 1000 miles on it and when I got it I checked the fluids and there was gunk at the bottom so I took it in to get flushed but it's over heating like I stated and I checked the fluid on the right that says engine coolant only and it was almost bone dry so I'm gonna put this 50/50 coolant in it and see whats going on. Thank you for the help and I will for sure be back cause I build stuff I'm no mechanic. Much appreciated.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:09 PM
4th Gear Member

May have air in the system,these cars can be tricky with the engine coolant and bleeding out air.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:30 PM

Yeah the Radiator was full but the coolant in it is kinda murky

Old 04-07-2021, 09:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

first and least cost would be to bleed the system to insure it has no air in system. it would be a bummer to invest a bunch of bucks to find all it was was air. it is really important to get the air out of the lt1 system and is not as easy as it might seem. look here https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...-system-66742/ there is a spot in the engine that likes to hold an air pocket that can cause engine to heat up and boil over. lt1 has a steam pipe in the back that runs from one head to the other that can get plugged as well and can cause heating issues. I would pull the radiator and flush it out really good with garden hose and see what comes out. if its jello kinda looking gunk then replace radiator refill and bleed air. if someone mixed the orange antifreeze with the green antifreeze it will turn into a kind of jello looking gunk.

Last edited by craby; 04-07-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by craby
first and least cost would be to bleed the system to insure it has no air in system. it would be a bummer to invest a bunch of bucks to find all it was was air. it is really important to get the air out of the lt1 system and is not as easy as it might seem. look here https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...-system-66742/ there is a spot in the engine that likes to hold an air pocket that can cause engine to heat up and boil over. lt1 has a steam pipe in the back that runs from one head to the other that can get plugged as well and can cause heating issues. I would pull the radiator and flush it out really good with garden hose and see what comes out. if its jello kinda looking gunk then replace radiator refill and bleed air. if someone mixed the orange antifreeze with the green antifreeze it will turn into a kind of jello looking gunk.
thank you guys for the tips let try to check the air and thermostat

Old 04-10-2021, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Fyi, that white mark where the needle is at is 235 degrees, 260 is pegged all the way to the furthest red line. Considering the fan isn't commanded to turn on until 226 degrees, what you are seeing is normal. Also take into consideration some give or take degrees, due to possible inaccuracies with these "deadly accurate" factory gauges. I know, it scared me at first when mine would get to that line in traffic, but it never went hotter. If your fan wasn't working, you'd be overheating in the red. Where it's at now, the engine is not overheating.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Fyi, that white mark where the needle is at is 235 degrees, 260 is pegged all the way to the furthest red line. Considering the fan isn't commanded to turn on until 226 degrees, what you are seeing is normal. Also take into consideration some give or take degrees, due to possible inaccuracies with these "deadly accurate" factory gauges. I know, it scared me at first when mine would get to that line in traffic, but it never went hotter. If your fan wasn't working, you'd be overheating in the red. Where it's at now, the engine is not overheating.
I did not think that was normal I figured it was to high. Cause if something were to go wrong I wouldent have time to catch it from overheating. I'm putting her in a shop tonight to check Radiator,thermostat, fans, and the such. We shal see thank you for the input