94 seat repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear member
Default 94 seat repair

First of all I haven't visited this forum for a long, long time. Like over 4 years!
The 94 V6 I bought and resurrected for my daughter as her first car served her well and she has moved on both literally and figuratively. She moved from the Philadelphia area to Portland, OR to attend nursing school a couple of years ago and needed a car with more cargo room so I put her in a nice PT Cruiser woody edition for the trip.
The Camaro has been sitting around virtually unused and it's time to make some minor repairs and put it up for sale.
As part of that process I worked with my 13 YO son to repair the driver's seat. Of course it had bolster wear down to the foam but the seat cushion fabric was also getting so thin that it was about to tear.
A couple of years ago I found another 94 with the exact same interior in a junkyard and I got the idea to buy the *passenger* side seat to use the foam and covering to repair my car's driver side seat. I wasn't sure it would work but for $25 I figured it was worth the chance.
We removed the driver's seat and took it apart down to the frame, then did the same thing with the donor seat. I transferred the seatback foam from the donor seat but kept the original cushion foam. I then used the passenger side covering for both the backrest and cushion on my driver's side seat. The donor seat was a manually adjusted seat and my car has a power driver's seat but that didn't make much difference. I did have to cut an access hole for the seat adjuster switch and make a small slit in the seatback for the tilt forward release ****.
While the final result is not perfect it is sure a WHOLE lot better than the ratty looking seat I had before.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Hope your daughter is enjoying the PAC NW,I work in Portland every day, born and raised in Oregon.
Good deal on the seat........

Old 11-09-2019, 09:06 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sweet job, like the hair,,, lol.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear member

She does like it there and I wonder if she'll ever move back east. She graduated from her program, passed her boards, and is now working at an Oregon State Health University Hospital making better money than I ever have.
I traveled to Portland pretty regularly in the mid-90s when I was going contract work for Freightliner. I liked the city quite a bit but I'm pretty sure that it has changed a lot since then.

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Hope your daughter is enjoying the PAC NW,I work in Portland every day, born and raised in Oregon.
Good deal on the seat........

Old 11-09-2019, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
sweet job, like the hair,,, lol.
Yeah, the hair... That's my boy. Only person in the family known to have curly hair was my wifes father and he was 6'6" tall. My son will be 13 in early December and he's as tall as I am so we all know where this is going. His hair has been wild since birth. What's really weird is that it's kinky and kinda smells like dog hair when it's wet. He's kind of a combination of Heat Miser and Sideshow Bob. Here he is 10 years ago.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:23 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
She does like it there and I wonder if she'll ever move back east. She graduated from her program, passed her boards, and is now working at an Oregon State Health University Hospital making better money than I ever have.
I traveled to Portland pretty regularly in the mid-90s when I was going contract work for Freightliner. I liked the city quite a bit but I'm pretty sure that it has changed a lot since then.
Unfortunately it hasn't changed for the better,far left control of the city and state has been a disaster as far as I'm concerned.
Portland now has both some of the worst drivers and traffic in the country and one of the worst homeless/street people problems as well.
I moved 40 miles out of the city in rural SW Washington logging country many years ago,I love it out here but have to commute to Portland for the work I do.
I could work closer to home and have but I took a union gig with great pay and benefits to finish out my days 'till retirement and I'll be able to have a pension of some kind.
I'm 63 and plan to work until I'm 70 if not a little longer,5 years gets me vested in the union. I'm in good shape for my age so far so we'll see how it pans out.
Speaking of Freightliner,I drive one most days working for Portland based Schnitzer Steel,also drive some Peterbilts depending on what I'm doing.
We have flatbed semis, dry vans,end dumps and roll off truck and pups.
Schnitzer is one of the nations largest scrap metal recyclers and are nation wide but I only drive in Western Oregon and Washington and home daily.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear member

Interesting. I'm not sure what I'm looking at with that black Peterbilt #26 regarding the tractor rear wheels. Are just the single wheels part of the tractor or the singles and both dually axles? I don't recall ever seeing anything like that before.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:25 AM
4th Gear Member

Interesting. I'm not sure what I'm looking at with that black Peterbilt #26 regarding the tractor rear wheels. Are just the single wheels part of the tractor or the singles and both dually axles? I don't recall ever seeing anything like that before.
The single is the tag or drop axle ahead of the drive axles.
It's a 4 axle tractor.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:26 AM
4th Gear Member

The single is the tag or drop axle ahead of the drive axles.
It's a long 4 axle tractor.