'94 Nose Piece

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Default '94 Nose Piece

I recently bought a 1994 Z28 and I bought it knowing that it was going to need quite a bit of work(and even more money) before it was perfect and show quality. Mechanically the car is perfect, but I need to fix a few dings and scratches and cracked paint, mainly on the nose, but every Fourth Gen I found before buying this one had cracked paint on the nose, so I assumed it was a common problem and probably a common part to replace, but I have yet to find where I can buy another one. So if anybody knows a website where I can find and buy a nose piece, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you talking about a crack like someone hit something and the pastic ripped or are you talking about the "spider" cracking caused by GM using a cheap primer?

Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

This site has bunches of camaro stuff
Link

Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by Gorn
Are you talking about a crack like someone hit something and the pastic ripped or are you talking about the "spider" cracking caused by GM using a cheap primer?
Also this... If its "cracks" all the way through the plastic, then replace it. If its "cracks" in the paint then repaint it. its cheaper.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 AM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check car-part.com

they always have a bunch of stuff on there

Old 08-25-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn

I mean like the cracking from the cheap primer.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Buying a new nose is not going to help since it will need repainted anyway. Might as well just repaint yours.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Okay thanks. I just have to find a good place to get it painted since the only place around here is a Maaco, and I've heard enough horror stories about them so I don't want to risk it.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:32 PM
2nd Gear member

To be honest, Maaco is like any other paint shop. If they don't spend the time and effort to do the prep work properly, and use the cheapest paint, then you will get a crappy result. Prep work takes time and is usually messy and boring, so a lot of shops do the bare minimum prep work.

I took my '64 Nova to a Maaco years ago to spray the final color. I did all of the prep work, and spoke with the painter to select the proper sealer/primer/color/clear. Basically the only thing Maaco had to do was the final wipe down and masking off and spray.

The paint job came out really nice. Light years better than even their best "ambassador" service would have been. But like I said, I did all of the prep work and provided the final color and clear that they spayed for me in a dust-free booth.

If you can find a local shop who will work with you, and you are able to do some or most of the prep work, you can get a pretty good paint job at a reasonable price. If you just drop the car off and tell them to fix it, then you may or may not get something that will look right and last.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 AM

Alright, thanks man. I'll do the prep work on it myself and bring it in. Do you think it would be better if, since it's such a small piece, if I were to just remove the nose and bring it separately so there's no risk of overspray?

Quick Reply: '94 Nose Piece