94 Camaro 3.4L HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Default 94 Camaro 3.4L HELP

I have recently been getting many problems with this car and I need to know if anyone can narrow down or diagnose the potential problem. The car take MANY tries to start, I literally had to crank it like 50 times the other day but it did eventually crank up. I replaced battery and its still doing it. My bro is supposed to come over and we are going to look for corrosion leading to starter. The check engine light is also on and it reads that my o2 sensors are messed up (could this affect start up at all?) And I've also been told that the alternator can be draining my battery or something. All I know is that I need help.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd say start with the MAF, MAP, and O2 sensors. Then check your spark plugs and wires, and replace as necessary

Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Matt Howell
...I literally had to crank it like 50 times the other day but it did eventually crank up.
In order for you to be able to crank the engine over 50 times before starting would mean your battery and alternator were fine.
Try cycling the key on and off a few times to prime the fuel pump well, then try starting the engine.
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can rent or borrow? Check pressure when you prime the system, when the engine is running, and after you shut it off. You could have low fuel pressure, or your injectors could be leaking when it sits, flooding the cylinders which can give a hard start.
There are a bunch of possible causes to your hard start problem.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

When you first try it listen for the fuel pump. You should hear a humming noise form the fuel tank. Like Camaro 69 said it could be a lot of thinks but it is pretty common when the fuel pump is failing it will work "sometimes". I have even heard of people giving up on starting them and have them towed only to have it start right up at the garage.

FYI don't crank your car more than 30 seconds, for every 30 seconds the starter cranks it needs 2 minutes to cool.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Default spark plugs

this is for my brothers camaro he has a 94 3.4 v6 how do I give it a tune up I've never did one without a distributor cap.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are you getting a check engine light? have you had it scanned for trouble codes? is it turning over but not starting or not turning over? if it is turning over does it turn fast enough to start or slow?