93 camaro Key fobs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:27 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default 93 camaro Key fobs?

Hey I was helping my dad program a key fob for his 96 impala ss, and as I was reading the instructions it said I could program my 93 camaro for a key fob. I tried it and it didn't work. Were the key fobs an option with the car or did they come standard? I grounded the wire for the obd reader to a ground and the locks didn't cycle.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM
4th Gear Member

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#1995keyless

Check out the link for programming instructions. I believe if you look in the trunk over where the spare tire is, there should be a small black box somewhere on the rear fender well if it has the option.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I took off the kick panel on the passenger side and there was no reciever there, but the place where it would sit was. Was keyless entry an option in 93 or not available?

Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 AM
2nd Gear member

Remote keyless entry was definitely an option. In my experience very few cars were equipped with it, at least V6 models. The easiest way to tell if your car has RKE is to look at the service parts info label stuck to the glove box door. Cars with RKE show option code AU0.
Of course you shouldn't bother looking at the label if your car doesn't have power door locks. But I'm sure you already knew that...

Old 12-12-2010, 09:24 PM

I followed the instruction to programming the key fob , but it is not working. after recycling the key three times to the run position, the doors locks and unlocks, when holding down both lock and unlock on the key fob nothing happens. any idea what causes this problem? could it be the key fob itself that I purchased on ebay?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by amwatchinya
I followed the instruction to programming the key fob , but it is not working. after recycling the key three times to the run position, the doors locks and unlocks, when holding down both lock and unlock on the key fob nothing happens. any idea what causes this problem? could it be the key fob itself that I purchased on ebay?
Could easily be the keyfob that you bought. Will it work for other makes/models that you can test it on? Did you check the glove box to see if your car even came with the option?

Also, you should start your own thread instead of glomming on to someone elses.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear member

amwatchinya hasn't filled out his profile and didn't say what year his car is. The programming procedure is not the same for later year Camaros.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you want keyless entry or to install power locks it is not to hard and can be done for about $50 if you do it yourself. Just research power door lock actuators.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
amwatchinya hasn't filled out his profile and didn't say what year his car is. The programming procedure is not the same for later year Camaros.
Sorry about this problem, I forgot to mention the year and model, it is 1998 camaro 3.8 V6, Base model.
Also am not sure why it is not showing my signature, propably I do not have sufficient posts yet. Thanks

Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
Could easily be the keyfob that you bought. Will it work for other makes/models that you can test it on? Did you check the glove box to see if your car even came with the option?

Also, you should start your own thread instead of glomming on to someone elses.
I do not know if it is the key fob that is not working, and I do not have other vehicles to try on, I checked the glove box and I did not see any sticker. As for starting a new thread, well, I have no problem doing that, but I thought this will be a burden to the site to have more threads about the same subject.
Yay, I have my own signature now.