4th Generation Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 AM
2nd Gear member
Default 4th Generation Wiper Blades

Another post brought up the wiper blade issue on our cars so I'll share my experience.

When I bought my 94 it had one of the original blades (marked Delco Chassis) and an unknown brand aftermarket blade. Since my car was inop I figured I'd take my time in the yards, find another Delco Chassis blade, and then get new GM inserts.

First problem was that no junkyard cars had a Delco Chassis wiper blade. Not one. How did my 94 manage to keep one of its original blades? Does anyone else on the forum have an original Delco arm on their Camaro? See the pic.

The second problem was the insert for the Delco blade. It seems like there are a couple different inserts and no local dealers had either in stock. I was reluctant to have a dealer order a couple overpriced wiper blade inserts only to discover that they didn't fit my wiper blades. Well, wiper *blade* since I had only one.

With the engine rebuilt, installed, and startup day approaching I gave up and went to my local Advance Auto Parts for blades. I used their handy dandy wiper rack computer to select the right ones. It told me that the Trico 24-9R Exact Fit blade was correct for both driver and passenger sides so I bought two.

When I went to install them I saw right away that there was a minor problem -- the passenger side blade extended a little too far toward the right side of the car. When I compared the mounting pin area on the Delco arm to the mounting pin area on the Trico arm I saw that they were not the same.

Fortunately you can unsnap the horsehoe-shaped mounting clip on the Trico arm, reverse the blade, and snap the clip back on. Then the blade shifts toward the driver side maybe half an inch and fits the car perfectly. I did this swap on both the wiper arms and the wipers work great.

Also....
I don't know if other members notice this but, sitting in the driver's seat, you are sitting so low that the parked wiper blades seem to stick up pretty high. They're right in front of my face which is kind of annoying. I need to stick the Delco arm back on for a minute and see if it sits lower on the cowl when parked.

Attached Thumbnails 4th Generation Wiper Blades-p9190057.jpg   4th Generation Wiper Blades-p9190058.jpg   4th Generation Wiper Blades-p9190059.jpg  

Last edited by 1augapfel; 09-19-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Overdrive Member

The factory blades for your car while stamped Delco are actually Trico blades. The 24-9R blades are the only ones that fit correctly on the reverse hook arms (hence the "R" in the part #). The reason you will not find them is because people throw the blades out when they are warn. The blade links when they get loose will not hold the rubber in the right place on the glass and they will cause chattering or poor wiping of the glass. The other reason people dont use refills and replace the blade is time. Time is money and if it only costs $1 more for the whole arm and it pops on in like 2 minutes for both, it is worth more than the extra $1. To install a refill it can take 20+ minutes and you need to remove and replace the assembly anyway. I dont know about you but my 20+ mins is worth well more than $1 to me.

Now if you have arms from a 98-02 you will not need the reverse blades, but to install them on your car and make them look right you will need to also replace the transmission parts of the wiper assembly. The motors are the same for the most part but the angle of the post that the arm attaches to is not the same, they look close but they are not the same. (just trust me on this one). Swap them all out and get the normal blades and be happy!

Massey

Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

so what blades are safe to go out and buy on a 02 4th gen i could use a new set