4th Gen Trany...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 4th Gen Trany...

1. Question... So if i have auto i have 4 gears?

Yes - No?

2. Question... When i drive on overdrive and i stop does that can need to go out of gear?

Yes - No?

because when i stop my car goes GRRRRRRRRRRRR likes its trying to run accelerate faster but i am on like 800RPMS

Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Would you be willing to take a stab at phrasing the question again? I'm not sure I understand what you are asking on question # 2 but I do get the part about the cars goes .....grrrr

Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Overdrive Member

1.yes its a 4 speed automatic transmission
2.i dont understand the question

Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Overdrive Member

Um...I think the answer to the second part is no, you shouldn't have to change it out of "OD" when you come to a stop, but I'll try to phrase it like you did:

you can has not gear need to take out of stop you when...

Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ha..ha!
Me thinks maybe his torque converter unlocking might not be while in O/D.
See if car still goes GRRRRRRRRR if try the same stop thing while trans in 3rd, not O/D.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:44 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

yeah that would be my question...does it do it in all gears or just overdrive? and nice slvr, haha

Old 02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 95slvrZ28
you can has not gear need to take out of stop you when...
i haz a headache nowz

Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM
4th Gear Member

right from fat albert

heybie mambie, hows abouts mybie transmission

Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i am really sorry for the second question, i wrote it so fast because i was in the rush and i didn't even read it....

Ok so when i am on over drive... And i press on brake pedal..... car stops....... now while i hold the brake pedal, car goes grrrrrr.... So does something have to happen? like it goes out of gear or something? and then when i release the brake it goes back into the gear? and stuff? Because i hear this sound like car is trying to excellerate without the rpms going up...

Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cerbid
i am really sorry for the second question, i wrote it so fast because i was in the rush and i didn't even read it....

Ok so when i am on over drive...

TIG- vehicle will go into OD on its own unless you have the gear selector in 2 or D

And i press on brake pedal..... car stops.......

TIG- well, that's a good thing

now while i hold the brake pedal, car goes grrrrrr....

TIG- as it's slowing, or once it's stopped? Do you mean when the car is dead stopped and not moving or creaping at all? Then it sounds like a rattle, probably exhaust or maybe your CD player is noisy?????

So does something have to happen? like it goes out of gear or something? and then when i release the brake it goes back into the gear? and stuff?

TIG- this isn't a manny tranny with a clutch that you throw in and remove power from the drive train.

Because i hear this sound like car is trying to excellerate without the rpms going up...

TIG- my car accelerates, I'm not sure about the other......

Anyway, you don't have a manual transmission and if you are at a dead stop, not rolling or creeping, then you probably have a rattle or some other noise from under the hood that is loud when the engine is under a load and at low idle; which would be in gear with the brake held as opposed to idling in park or neutral.

replies are above prefaced with TIG. Oh, if the grrr is heard while slowing, replace your brake pads.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Trany...