4th Gen F-Body/Engine Bay question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 4th Gen F-Body/Engine Bay question

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there was any difference between the models of the 1997 Camaro. I want to put the following STB in my engine bay:

Hotchkis Sport Suspension 2006R - Hotchkis Sport Suspension Strut Tower Braces - Overview - SummitRacing.com

And I can't tell if it will fit in my RS or not. Once I select the option on the website for RS, this part is no longer available (As well as 90% of the other STB's). Is there really a difference in position and placement of the strut towers?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Overdrive Member

The difference is not in the engine bay but in the engine itself. The 93-97 Z28s use a LT1 engine which is a SBC with a dizzy mounted behind the water pump (plus a few other things). The 98-02 Z-28s use the LS1 engine which is taller than the LT1 so the LT1 brace will not fit. What I did find out is the brace for the 96-02 3.8L engines actually fit the LS1 engines better than the one made for the LS1 cars. The reason why is the LS1 brace kinda blocks the trans dipstick where the 3.8L brace goes behind the trans dipstick.

If you use the LS1 or LT1 brace on the 3.8L cars it will hit the alternator.

Massey

Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
The difference is not in the engine bay but in the engine itself. The 93-97 Z28s use a LT1 engine which is a SBC with a dizzy mounted behind the water pump (plus a few other things). The 98-02 Z-28s use the LS1 engine which is taller than the LT1 so the LT1 brace will not fit. What I did find out is the brace for the 96-02 3.8L engines actually fit the LS1 engines better than the one made for the LS1 cars. The reason why is the LS1 brace kinda blocks the trans dipstick where the 3.8L brace goes behind the trans dipstick.

If you use the LS1 or LT1 brace on the 3.8L cars it will hit the alternator.

Massey
So... It won't fit? LOL, I'm just trying to get the layman's terms of what you said. If this specific brace won't fit, that's fine. But I wanted to be 100% sure before I made the commitment to buying it. Some of the braces don't have information on what specific engine or submodel they fit in, so I assumed it's more of a universal fit

Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I guess my original post wasn't worded correctly. I want to know if the STB I was looking at (The Hotchkis bar I linked to in my OP) will fit in my RS. The information for the part simply says "Will fit 1997 Chevrolet Camaro". I know not every item on every shopping site can be specific to the fine detail, but I guess I'll just bite the bullet. The reason I'm drilling this one so hard is because I like the design of the bar. Other models are just too bland; just a metal rod from tower to tower. Not my style. I can't be boring, LOL

Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Overdrive Member

I would say no. The alternator on the 3.8L engine requires the bar to lean back alot farther than the ones for all the other engines. Get one of the ones that Craby listed and you will be good. I had one on my Sarah and it worked out great and the car handled much better with it.

Massey

Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

according to summits application it will fit a v6 so if they are wrong then send it back. the design looks taller but i have not seen that style stb installed so i dont know for sure.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Overdrive Member

Here is the bar in my Sarah.

Name:  DSCN0407a.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  96.6 KB

It actually goes behind the alternator. The pic kinda makes it look like it is over the top.

Massey

Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
according to summits application it will fit a v6 so if they are wrong then send it back. the design looks taller but i have not seen that style stb installed so i dont know for sure.
That's what I was thinking of doing anyway. The reason for the confusion is because the previous owner had a STB installed, and it looks exactly like the one I posted. But the Summit site didn't give any specifics, which forced my hand into me asking in the first place. I appreciate all your input, this is most likely the next thing to get installed.

While we're on the topic, I figured I might ask the same question regarding Sway Bars. I was thinking of swapping out the sway bars front and rear, but can't find a matching set. I can find bars for the RS with hollow and/or solid for front and rear, but can't find two of the same type.

Example: I can find red sway bars for front, in hollow, but not a red hollow rear bar. If I take off the "RS" option from their sorting, I get a plethora of new options available. Does it really matter if I get sway bars under the "RS" category or not, considering they should all fit 1997 Camaros to begin with? Besides, the rear axle is from a Z28 anyway, so should I bother looking for submodel-specific sway bars, or just look for them under "1997 Chevrolet Camaro"?

::Head explodes::

Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
Here is the bar in my Sarah.

It actually goes behind the alternator. The pic kinda makes it look like it is over the top.

Massey
Your engine bay looks a bit different than mine, TBH. What kind of intake is that, anyway? I appreciate the picture, it helps A LOT, but like I said in my previous post: The previous owner had a very similar (If not the same) STB installed, so it looks as if the STB may actually go around or fit near the alternator as-is, albeit most likely with a tight fit

Quick Reply: 4th Gen F-Body/Engine Bay question