4L60e failure to upshift @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Droid
Default 4L60e failure to upshift @ WOT

There are many people posting that their 4L60E transmission fails to upshift at wide open throttle, and hitting the rev limiter.Before you invest in expensive fixes, you may want to look at this.

Posted by AV-8R (Member # 2443) on

document.writeln(timestamp(new Date(2004,2,21,19,4,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0));

March 21, 2004 07:04 PM :

Well gents, looks like problem solved. When you try and try and try, always go back to the basics. I hoped that maybe - just maybe, the shifter lever arm on the transmission may be slightly out of adjustment and not taking the position it neede in the valve body to enable the proper pressures to be acted on the solenoids.

So, I adjusted the shifter lever on the transmission just slightly aft, (about 2 turns on a fine thread shaft so 1/32 of an inch), nothing happened. I then returned it to it's original position and when 2 turns the other way.

Gwalla! 4L60E now shifts at WOT !!.

Once again, when all else fails, go back to the basics and you usually solve the problem.

Remember, this tranmission worked PERFECT except for at WOT. You would think that if the transmission lever arm was out of sink, it would not work, but it did. I can only assume that when it was reaching very high pressures, enough fluid was leeking back into the other chambers and giving them just enough pressure to "not" allow an upshift. Just a slight adjustment and it is fixed.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: 4L60e failure to upshift @ WOT

Interesting. I haven't had this problem yet but it is good to know.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Overdrive Member

Whalla alla sticky

Gook to know if I ever have the issue too...

Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

This adjustment is a dangerous one. First off I admit I am behind the times. I used to rebuild the old 700r4s. But my concern is a basic transmission fundamentals issue. Automatic’s in general work the same way. There is main line pressure and governed pressure. Main line pressure is a fix value controlled by a pressure relief it also does the work. Main line pressure is modified by valve body, solenoids, governor, ect to control shift points, That altered pressure is called governed pressure. If you change main line pressure you change governor pressure (aka shift points) The shift valve directs the main line pressure to the correct circuits. By bleeding it off or between 2 circuits you could be dropping the mainline pressures, this is most likely why it corrects your shift points. This is also the exact opposite of every shift kit out there. Remember the clutches are engaged by line pressure. Less pressure equals weaker clutch engagement. Second where you are bleeding it off to comes into play. Let say 90% of the main line pressure goes to the second gear band but you bleed off 10% into the 1st gear clutch pack. Sure the car will go but you are wasting power and causing heat with the partially engaged clutch pack. Think of it as driving with the weight of your foot on the brake petal. Heat is the biggest killer of transmissions.

(note: I used first gear clutch pack and second gear band as examples the idea is if you a bleeding off pressure and you do not know where its going it could cause you problems)

I am not saying there is no possible way this can work. I am saying two things. One: it puts your transmission at risk long term. Two: even a small amount of error in the adjustment can cause pretty big problems. Nothing in the shift linkage is designed to position that valve accurately and will most likely move your adjustment around over time.

I am sure for some people this quick fix will work but for some unlucky ones this will be more costly then fixing it right.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

uhh I had this problem but the engine just sucked in like the rubber air block on the intake cover and was choking the engine so it would get super high rpm and like studder when it tried to shift

Old 12-07-2008, 07:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That's the 4speed auto right? Mine does the same thing, but also at around 50mph it shifts back and fourth continually form 3rd-4th.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I used to have a 1998 Z28 A4 and had a similar problem. Mine would go into gear at WOT, but would bounce off the rev limiter continously until eventuallyshifting into the next gear or letting off of the throttle.Took it in to get the transmission filter changed along with a fluid change and flush. Never saw the problem again!

Old 12-13-2008, 01:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I was having the same problem, now it won't even shift in drive or overdrive. I'm contemplating converting to a 6speed manual as opposed to rebuilding the 4L60E. What should I do?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Man... I got this same problem. I am gonna have to try adjusting the cable and see what that leads to. I was just hoping the transmission fluid needed to be flushed. But I will try to flush it and adjust that cable. Thanks

Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
There are many people posting that their 4L60E transmission fails to upshift at wide open throttle, and hitting the rev limiter.Before you invest in expensive fixes, you may want to look at this.

Posted by AV-8R (Member # 2443) on

document.writeln(timestamp(new Date(2004,2,21,19,4,0), dfrm, tfrm, 0, 0, 0, 0));

March 21, 2004 07:04 PM :

Well gents, looks like problem solved. When you try and try and try, always go back to the basics. I hoped that maybe - just maybe, the shifter lever arm on the transmission may be slightly out of adjustment and not taking the position it neede in the valve body to enable the proper pressures to be acted on the solenoids.

So, I adjusted the shifter lever on the transmission just slightly aft, (about 2 turns on a fine thread shaft so 1/32 of an inch), nothing happened. I then returned it to it's original position and when 2 turns the other way.

Gwalla! 4L60E now shifts at WOT !!.

Once again, when all else fails, go back to the basics and you usually solve the problem.

Remember, this tranmission worked PERFECT except for at WOT. You would think that if the transmission lever arm was out of sink, it would not work, but it did. I can only assume that when it was reaching very high pressures, enough fluid was leeking back into the other chambers and giving them just enough pressure to "not" allow an upshift. Just a slight adjustment and it is fixed.
I have read many issues about its failure, but your thread is nice to read and informative. I will try those things to fix my transmission.

Quick Reply: 4L60e failure to upshift @ WOT