3.8 Base vs 5.7 Z-28

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Please don't take my comment as bashing 4th gens, I own two. This is the business side of me talking.

Cars are never good investments, by good investment I mean a guarante of growth. The car world is very up and down. Cars must be maintained and stored and in many cases held for decades before the value begins to rise if at all. If you have to sell it due to changes in life or an emergancy you may take a huge hit if you have to sell it fast. 20 years ago any 55 or 57 chevy was worth big bucks now you can get them for 1/2 what they where going for in the 80 early 90s. Why? most of the people that wanted those cars when they where in highschool are dying off. All thats left is colletors, and all they want is low miles original cars. Don't get me wrong your going getting a 57 chevy for cheap but you can buy a pretty nice one for about the same money as a 69 camaro. There was a time when you could buy (4) 69 camaros for what a nice 57 chevy cost.

There was a time when collectors wanted nothing to do with anything made after WW2. Almost anything pre WW2 in orginal condition was worth money. Now? Unless it is rare, original and mint you can buy orignal cars from the 30's for 5K that need some restore and a restored car for less then it would cost to restore it. There are a few exception like the 32 ford and anything hot roders wanted.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Banned

I think the difference between what ur saying about the 3rd gens being worth anything might have been true if it were a higher horsepower vehicle. Plus they rattle real bad even with ultra low miles. The 4th gen. cured all those ailments. It's for those reasons that the 3rd gen. will be worth no more than the bogged down 2nd generation camaro. The only people even remotely into a 70s camaro, are those who may have purchased one new. Seems like that is the trend for 3rd gen. Camaros as well. Right now, you can't give those cars away

Old 05-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Banned

The 5th gen camaro isn't even a real Camaro. I mean its built from a family vehicle platform as we all know, its a zeta platform, an Australian design, not even an American idea!!!!! It isn't even a F body car!!! It's platform is used for countless other vehicles. Not to mention...its no longer a Pony Car!!!!! Most people/critics agree that the 5th gen is WAY to big, bulky, doesn't represent anything from an F body at all. So to most true F body enthusiasts, that new so called camaro is a quick cheap way to ride the coat tails of a true pony car name. The car did not pick up where the 4th generation left off, which has been the case for all TRUE F bodies. Sorry, no matter what anyone says or tries to justify, noone can argue the facts which I have just stated. If you want a REAL Camaro, the way the world thinks of a Camaro, it MUST be an F body.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 AM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by mezzyshredder
I think the difference between what ur saying about the 3rd gens being worth anything might have been true if it were a higher horsepower vehicle. Plus they rattle real bad even with ultra low miles. The 4th gen. cured all those ailments. It's for those reasons that the 3rd gen. will be worth no more than the bogged down 2nd generation camaro. The only people even remotely into a 70s camaro, are those who may have purchased one new. Seems like that is the trend for 3rd gen. Camaros as well. Right now, you can't give those cars away
Please if you know someone giving away a 70's camaro please point them in my direction. I never owned one before and I would love to buy one so your point is disproved.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

All the opinion are valid, the question is a 4th Gen Camaro a good investment. The answer is there is no way to be sure. When you are talking about investing that in itself is an answer. No one has been able to predict the auto market well and there is no reason to think anyone on this site can do it. Heck if anyone could have predicted what muscle car values where going to do then you could have made a fortune between 2000 2007.

Look at all the mistakes guys have made over the years. Back when the Corvair was outlawed thousands of those cars where put away as investments. Everyone that blew a motor didn’t junk it they put away because they were going to be valuable someday. Who made money? The storage companies. If the value of the LS1 drops much more then the cars will get stripped for parts at a much higher rate. If enough get stripped then they could become valuable. I mean come on who would have predicted that a 1974 VW bug could be worth more than a 1974 Vett. In 1981 my brother bough 74 bug for $200. You could find them for $125-200 range all day long.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

As crazy as it sounds our 4th gens with the V6 engine are SLOWLY gaining in value

Old 05-29-2012, 09:02 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by RPDRed6
As crazy as it sounds our 4th gens with the V6 engine are SLOWLY gaining in value
Where? Every year there is a surge in the spring but basicly the prices have been falling pretty fast in my area. Any V6 over 4500 sits for a long time waiting for a buyer. I saw a 97 Y87 RS with 97K on the clock, asking price $3000 just last week. When I was looking for a 97 RS 3 years ago I could not come close to a deal like that in a 3 state search.