2002 ss - $14,000

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default 2002 ss - $14,000

So I happened to be looking through the Auto Trader today. I came across a 2002 Camaro SS listed at $13,988.

So I got thinking. I bought my Cobalt a year ago for $20k. It's probably worth $15k now, maybe $13k if you subtract for damage suffered in a recent collision.

So I started thinking maybe I can talk 'em into a straight trade.

Here's the internet ad, although their asking price there is a bit higher than it was in the book.
2002 Chevrolet Camaro 2WD For Sale | EDMONTON AB

I'm thinking I'm gonna go check it out on Monday. I guess the usual questions apply, and is there anything special I should be checking for? I'm not exactly familiar with 4th-gen cars here :/

Old 06-18-2011, 09:32 AM
2nd Gear member

It's an automatic.

Besides that, check to make sure it is a real SS.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did you pay cash for the Cobalt or is there a loan involed. Loans on cars more then 7 years old are going to be at a higher interst rate and they will not do the loans as long.

If you paid cash I would just say WTF where you thinking. You are losing 6-7K to drive a car for 12 month? Between what the car dropped in value and the interst you paid in the last year you could bought a non-SS Ls1.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i dont mean to sound like a ****, but why would he trade an SS for a cobalt?

edit: it also seems expensive for one with 72k

Last edited by masonhoban; 06-18-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

check the driver door jamb. i think in 02 they still put an slp decal in the door jamb with all of the options it had on it from slp. it will say slp on it.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

Saint Ebony is in Canada, so prices are much different. Around me, I would never pay that much for a Camaro with 72k on the clock, seeing as I picked mine up with 42k for $12,800; but again, Canada is much different. The dealer won't do a straight deal as you are talking retail price for your Cobalt, they will offer you less than half of that. Expect that dealer to maybe offer $5k for your Cobalt

Old 06-18-2011, 07:58 PM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
Did you pay cash for the Cobalt or is there a loan involed. Loans on cars more then 7 years old are going to be at a higher interst rate and they will not do the loans as long.

If you paid cash I would just say WTF where you thinking. You are losing 6-7K to drive a car for 12 month? Between what the car dropped in value and the interst you paid in the last year you could bought a non-SS Ls1.
Yeah, I've made a few mistakes with cars over the years >.> I dunno, me not smart sometimes.

There is a loan involved, although it's down to only 9k, interest rates are dirt low for everything here, and I will have the ability to pay it off in under a year regardless.

Originally Posted by masonhoban
i dont mean to sound like a ****, but why would he trade an SS for a cobalt?
You got it backwards there I think; I'm intending to trade a Cobalt for an SS.

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Saint Ebony is in Canada, so prices are much different. Around me, I would never pay that much for a Camaro with 72k on the clock, seeing as I picked mine up with 42k for $12,800; but again, Canada is much different. The dealer won't do a straight deal as you are talking retail price for your Cobalt, they will offer you less than half of that. Expect that dealer to maybe offer $5k for your Cobalt
Their asking price in the Auto Trader is $13,988. I figure my Cobalt would still be worth $15k if not for the damage, maybe $13k with the damage.

I spoke with a rep on the phone today- they actually said they were very interested in looking at my Cobalt- said it sounds like it has a lot of options, it's low mileage, and apparently they don't get very many of them, so I suppose I have some leverage there.

But we shall see. Worst case scenario, I'll keep the Cobalt, and then I think I can nail that other driver for my repairs since she was driving with an expired license and speeding.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

Don't mean to demoralzie you, but pretty much every dealer will act interested and compliment your trade in. I had dealers tell me those same words when I was trading my Camaro in yet my highest trade in offer was $3400 and the KBB retail price was closer $9k.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:46 PM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well we'll see how it goes anyway. Nothing to be lost by trying~

And yeah, if the deal doesn't work out reasonably for me, then I'll just walk away and see what I can do to get my repairs paid for by that girl's insurance instead.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

They will likely give you less than NADA.com rough trade as it shows an accident on it's history. Best bet sell your Cobalt on your own and find tge car you really want from a private party or one that has been on a lot over 90 days etc. If you have this luxury. I agree that price is really high. Search nationally.

Quick Reply: 2002 ss - $14,000