2001 V6 camaro help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Default 2001 V6 camaro help!

hey everyone, im new to cars and got my first car, a v6 2001 camaro. the car is amazing but it needs some work. i brought it in for a check and and for one the thermostat is not working right, 2 the transmission fluid pan is leaking, 3 the coolant is leaking and 4 i need a new front right wheel baring. i have been driving it for about 5 months now and i just wanted your guyus help and opinions on the severity of these problems and what to do. i would aprriciate it alot thankyou

Old 11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thermostat is an easy and cheap fix that you can do yourself. i'd take care of this first as its the easiest and cheapest. Your car is an automatic i take it? try dropping the pan and replacing the seal (if there is one, i havent dropped an auto pan). Where is the coolant leaking frome? One of the hoses, the reservoir perhaps?

Old 11-28-2011, 03:03 PM
I Like to Party

It's recommended you replace the thermostat, if it doesnt work it can give the ECM the wrong reading of temperature, and could throw a light, as for the tran pan point out the area of leakage, if too severe I would replace the seal. If not too sever get some tranny fluid stop leak and see where that gets you. Can you say exactly where the coolant is leaking from? That should give us an idea of how to help you diagnose how to fix the issue. Welcome to the forums!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

First off id replace the hub bearing as it's a safety hazard. Once that's done do your t-stat and coolant leak. Then drop your tranny pan replace the fluid and filter along with the seal. Stay away from any stop leak products. They just cause problems down the road.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
First off id replace the hub bearing as it's a safety hazard. Once that's done do your t-stat and coolant leak. Then drop your tranny pan replace the fluid and filter along with the seal. Stay away from any stop leak products. They just cause problems down the road.
Odd, I used stop leak power steering and it worked like a charm, care to explain please? I could probably prevent something bad in the long run.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hub first, then thermo stat with a flush and track down that leak. The trans pan is very easy to drop and replace, just get it up even front in back or your fluid will be coming out the end of the pan before your ready. Don't use the stop leak crap, just find the leak and fix the hose, most likely one of the main hoses due to the fluctuation of temp because your tstat is screwed. Good luck!!

Old 11-30-2011, 04:29 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

find the leak first, if its the water pump then change thermostat when pump is changed. change trans pan gasket, it is an easy change. front bearing is not so easy, you need to pull the brakes off including the caliper and rotor then its easy. would be a good time to have the cooling system flushed and when leak is fixed pressure tested.