2001 SS... or an LS1 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
4th Gear Member
Default 2001 SS... or an LS1 Trans Am

i was doing my usual flip through autotrader looking for aGM V8 performance cari could call my own and i come across this... its at a ford dealership near by (and since i work at a ford dealership i can have it brought in to my dealership and i can buy it for employee pricing which isnt much but every bit counts) However i have a few concerns. 1. It has 100k miles2. iwas under the impression that anSS Vin contained an SSwhere the engine code goes. 3. door doesnt look like its quite lined up right, may have a dirty title. and finally the biggest of all4. thedealership claims 400hp and it has a400hp decal on the hood.But all of this leads back to the car being $9971. Ihavefound a Trans Am near by thats 9995 with 87k. andeven a1993 Vette with 85k for 6995.

heres a link to it. What do you guys think? Should I hold off for the trans amor put some money downon this instead? I mean cars like this, if it is what they say, dont come around my area for under 10 grand too often.

">2001 Camaro SS

Old 12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: 2001 SS... or an LS1 Trans Am

I'd go check it out personally. Inspect the engine and everything... See why the door doesn't line up. Ask them and take notes and make sure they don't mind being on record. If you have a signed form from them, they basically can't bull**** you because you could easily sue (I've done it lol). That or they fix what's wrong real fast lol. But 100k isn't bad at all. An LS1 can take a lot of abuse but I'm sure its been driven hard. Transmission is probably showing age.

I'd personally go with the Trans Am... I'm always sketchy on dealer cars that are trade ins...

EDIT: And yes your impression is correct. The SS should replace the G engine code in the vin. You have VIN K, G, and SS. K being the 3.8. G being the 5.7 Z28. SS being the SS model =P

Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM
4th Gear Member

Ok then this isnt an SS and should be about 900 bucks cheaper according to KBB. Reguardless of HP... I know that our dealership atleast just prices the car with the guidelines on KBB and not what fancy things they say about it.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

spartacus...come on man...we've been over this. you know you really want a TA...so why buy this car? i'm not being a jerk...i'm just saying that this isn't what youREALLY want.

second...idk about the vin code...cause my car is and nowhere in the vin does it say SS...granted mine is a 97 lt1...but are you sure about that? someone else that has a newer SS needs to chime in here

Old 12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would scrutinize that car with the utmost...scrutiny!
That drivers door looks to be a shade darker than the front and rear panels.
And it isn't a lighting angle trick either, because it's in more than one shot. I smell a repair.
But that's not necessarily a bad thing. You need to look at every nut and bolt on the car.
Look at the mounting bolts for the door hinges, hood, fenders, etc. to see if the car has
been messed with.
Oh, and a little constructive criticism,try to figure how to post a link that isn't a mile long.
I had to scroll into the next town to read the damn post, and all of the following ones too.
Like this way: Sparty's Dream Car Mirage

Old 12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
4th Gear Member

I know its not a blackWS6 or black T/A. But really ive come to terms with the fact that im being too picky. Honestly i really just want to get back into a fast GM car. The only reason i wanted a T/A over a Camaro is so i could slap the bird on the hood lol and im not a fan of the LS1 Z28s front end but an SS or replicai can live with, the appearance makes up for the headlights. Anyway, i called the guy he fired it up over the phone and its decently loud. I believe its got the center exhaust. I still question its SS status and wont know til i get a look at the RPO. The pricing difference between a SS and a Camaro tho is nearly 1000 dollars so i want to be right on the money. And then theres the door. I mean im gonna check it out 2morrow, its worth checking out. its an awesome car. However if i find its not a SS then id have an easier time buying it since id need to finance it and 1000 dollar sticker price really makes a difference on your payments. Combine that with a couple grand down and ive got an affordable LS1. I mean id have to take the 400hp thing off the hood scoop and possibly debadge it kuz im not into the mis-badging scene.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:49 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

I would scrutinize that car with the utmost...scrutiny!
That drivers door looks to be a shade darker than the front and rear panels.
And it isn't a lighting angle trick either, because it's in more than one shot. I smell a repair.
But that's not necessarily a bad thing. You need to look at every nut and bolt on the car.
Look at the mounting bolts for the door hinges, hood, fenders, etc. to see if the car has
been messed with.
Oh, and a little constructive criticism,try to figure how to post a link that isn't a mile long.
I had to scroll into the next town to read the damn post, and all of the following ones too.
Like this way: Sparty's Dream Car
How did you do that? Kuz i clicked that little globe button on the tool bar and it wouldnt create a link.

.. still didnt work.. what the heck..

Old 12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Set the text you want to be your link title first. Then highlight it, and click on "that little globe button" and paste your copied hyperlink in there. Click OK.
Don't forget to leave an apple on my desk tomorrow!

Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 PM
4th Gear Member

thats what i did... oh well.. you have the link in your reply... good enough for me.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I guess sometimes you can't teach a young dog old tricks!
You must be doing something wrong, it should work.

Quick Reply: 2001 SS... or an LS1 Trans Am