2001 Camaro Z28 vs 2011 Mustang GT (5.0)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
if he's rolling on stock 18's the tires are only 235's

if he runs premium and is all stock beyond that, he's sitting at around 365 RWHP, maybe a lil bit more. He's going to do nothing but roast those tires

again, drag radials and give them a go

I'm not here to bash maros, heck no, I own 2. But, let's not try to be overly impressed by this result. CAI, aftermarket tune and you are darn close to 400 RWHP with the six speed manny. Toss on some axle backs and even a wee bit more

the 5.0 is a killer engine and they built the vehicle to handle it.
Yeah the 5.0 is pretty sick. I'd love to drive one if given the chance. I prefer NA cars though, so I'd still probably go with a 5th gen Camaro if I was getting something new and wanted to up the power.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

The new 5.0 is N/A....

With the new 5.0 just watch out for those craptastic trans!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
The new 5.0 is N/A....

With the new 5.0 just watch out for those craptastic trans!
I know.
But with Mustangs you need to put a blower on to get any serious power unless you want to spend a good amount on the engine.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear member

Im actually not surprised Ive driven the new mustangs and the stock tune sucks on them. The camaro's have more grunt down low.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by greenmachine96
Im actually not surprised Ive driven the new mustangs and the stock tune sucks on them. The camaro's have more grunt down low.
big difference in displacement so that is to be expected

the new 5.0s need to be driven like a 4 cylinder bike vs a v twin. You need to get the thing up into the power curve where the variable cam timing gets aggressive as well (wanna tick off a new stang owner ask if this is the new v-tec engine)

I've driven the new v6 as well as 5.0 stang

of course both were manny trannies

I was impressed with the new sixer but the 5.0, when i got into the curve was a holy sh#t moment. That engine just begs to rev but how many of us actually drive that way?

But, I didn't like it enough to need to trade in my 07.

I like my 4th gen and the low end torque. It's balanced for daily driving.

But, if you want a spirited experience, the 5.0 is calling to you (just change the headrests)

Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar
I know.
But with Mustangs you need to put a blower on to get any serious power unless you want to spend a good amount on the engine.
That was true with the 4.6 OHC Mustang that only put out 260HP stock, those with full bolt on's would be lucky to hit low 13's, where the LS1's can do it stock. But this new 5.0 is a different breed, it responds very well to N/A modifications, and since it's lighter I think it has more potential than the 5th Gen. Camaro.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by QuatermainZ28
That was true with the 4.6 OHC Mustang that only put out 260HP stock, those with full bolt on's would be lucky to hit low 13's, where the LS1's can do it stock. But this new 5.0 is a different breed, it responds very well to N/A modifications, and since it's lighter I think it has more potential than the 5th Gen. Camaro.

rumor has it that the next gen stang is going on a diet and will be shorter.

Chevy had best be listening. Dodge and Chevy made their ponycars huge and bloated.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 PM

Chevy had best be listening. Dodge and Chevy made their ponycars huge and bloated.
2011 Mustang curb weight is right around 3,600 lbs right? That's almost on par with our 4th generation F-body's with a lot more power. If they made it even lighter, that car would be killer.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm thinking about getting a Stang when they come out with the 50th anniversary one...will get one a year or two down the road though, because I'm not wasting my cash on a brand new ride.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Guitar
No way in hell you'd win if he actually knew how to drive.
eh i dont know about all that, the camaro is running an ls1 and its lighter. the mustang is just a regular 5.0 and is alot heavier from what i have been told, now if it was an upgraded version possibly

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro Z28 vs 2011 Mustang GT (5.0)