1998 Price Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1998 Price Question

Hi i was woundering if i was Over Priced.
I have a 1998 Silver Camaro
5 speed ttops

No Dents car is really stright heres the work i have done to it

New inspection good until 2/11
Ceramic breaks all the way around
Coil packs have been replaced ( Lifetime warrenty )
PCM has been replaced ( Lifetime warrenty )
4 Wheel aligment
K & N Air Filter
Both Outter tie rod ends replaced
B1S3 o2 Sensor replaced
Horn Relay replaced
New rear seal in transmission
New 1 peice driveshaft
New Oil pan gasket
Oil change w/ filter done at 107k
New Battery

Interior has no rips or tears and carpet has no wear, Tires are 8/32 all the way around. All fluids have been flushed, ttops dont leak. Im asking 4500.00 am i over priced. The Car has an R title due to it being Formerly Abandoned, This means that the car has never been wrecked someone just left the car sit the police picked it up i bough it from the shop. The car is stock and i do have the car fax for it to prove its never even seen a fender bender. I wouldent think an R title like this would hurt the cars value? pics are in my photo album

Old 03-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

R title will hurt the value. Most people will not buy a car with a R title regardless of what you can prove. Anything that reduces the amount of people that are willing to buy a car will effect the value of it. I go to auction all the time, R titles do not do well. My guess would be 25-30% less IF the car is near perfect. This is why title washing is so common.

Many dealers will get R title cars like yours (no real problems) for family member. They do that cause they can get them so cheap and they have mechanic to check them out. With the price of air bags and windshield you would be amazed how little damage it takes to make a car R title. There are many cars that are R title that just need some small cosmedic repair an air bag and a windsheild.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM
4th Gear Member

One thing I have noticed over the years is that ir really don't matter what you have done to it like replacing the coil packs, changing oil, battery,etc that will increase the value of the car. New tires, new carpet, headers, etc will sometimes increase the value. Major factor is your location and the number of other vehicles like yours available on the market in that location.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That is one of the common mistake people make. They think listing all the "new" parts they put on a car helps the resale. You almost never see dealer doing that. If fact most dealer will go out of their way to make sure you can not tell a repair was just done. What people need to understand all cars require maintenance. "Car was just gone over by a certifed mechanic was was given an all good" is a lot better then "I just had to replace half the parts on the suspension" will make a buyer think What the heck did he do to it? Why would he drive it till that many parts need replaced?

Of the above list the only thing that would show up in my add would be Ceramic Brakes all the way around and just inspected and ready to go. Everything else will just scare people and say "I am a car that has had a lot of problems" You basicly are telling all the people all the things that have ever gone wrong with the car. You want to give the appearnce that nothing ever goes wrong with this car. Atlease thats what dealer do.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1998SilverMaro
i do have the car fax for it to prove its never even seen a fender bender.
Just wanna mention that a clean Carfax only means it's never had a reported accident. Some people won't report the accident so their insurance doesn't increase.
I'm guessing this is the case with my Camaro.. the report shows no accidents but i can tell the front bumper has been repainted (and not well either, lol). Go figure.
Also, my husband rolled his Jeep. I'm talking nearly totaled. And it was reported to his insurance..they paid for the repairs.. And it doesn't show up on the Carfax.

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying I don't really trust Carfax or AutoCheck.

Last edited by montecarlogrrl; 04-01-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My R title says rite on it Abandoned i dont know if that changes anything or not

Old 04-08-2010, 03:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

im guessing its a sixer? since u said its a 5 speed...in california v8s with similar stats as yours go for 3000 to 5000 soo like they said it really depends on your area