1994 camaro help needed ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Default 1994 camaro help needed ASAP!!

Hey wassup guys, I need help with my 1994 camaro. Ok so for some reason my car will crank and run perfectly fine but when I get up to 55mph then the check engine light comes on and it shuts off. Now my car is currently located in Florida and the problem is I have to drive it back home to New York to where I currently live now so averaging 50-53mph will be a headache. If not a major problem I would like to get help on how to fix it before I have to get it and drive it back as it is now.....

Last edited by Starquan; 07-26-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 07-27-2017, 03:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ca on you take it to an autozone or mechanic and have them give you the code for the check engine light? That's where I'd start.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:42 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Does the light just come on or does it flash,,, The symptoms you are describing are not common. I don't think I have ever heard them before.

Getting the PCM code is critical. I assume that once you restart the car the light is off?

When it shuts off is it like someone turned it off or does it fight to stay running giving you a second or two warning?

Fighting to stay running would sound like a fuel issue, cutting off instantly would be an electronic issue. I would have no idea what speed would have to do with the fuel system. To shut the car off instantly you are talking an ignition system failure but that would not set a check engine light. Except maybe random misfire?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by JennROCKS81
Ca on you take it to an autozone or mechanic and have them give you the code for the check engine light? That's where I'd start.
The only problem with that is that when I turn the car back on the check engine light is off, it only cuts on once I hit over 55mph.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Does the light just come on or does it flash,,, The symptoms you are describing are not common. I don't think I have ever heard them before.

Getting the PCM code is critical. I assume that once you restart the car the light is off?

When it shuts off is it like someone turned it off or does it fight to stay running giving you a second or two warning?

Fighting to stay running would sound like a fuel issue, cutting off instantly would be an electronic issue. I would have no idea what speed would have to do with the fuel system. To shut the car off instantly you are talking an ignition system failure but that would not set a check engine light. Except maybe random misfire?
it just comes on like it flashed at first then just stays on until The car shuts off then when i switch it back on the lift goes away. And what's a PCM code? And no it fights a little then cuts off, like as soon as I hit 55 it fight back a little then just shuts off completely.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the computer should save the code for the scanner to read.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by craby
the computer should save the code for the scanner to read.
ok I didn't know that it saves the code so ok cool I'll try that but let me ask y'all this, I already planned to swap out the motor and trans anyway once I got it back home. What's the possibility that swapping both would fix this issue? Because I already have the new motor for it, just don't have it swapped out yet due to my concerns about this current issue.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:31 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That depends what are you swapping. A Short block or a Long block a used engine with all the sensors (it would need to a similar year engine).

This does not sound like a mechanical engine failure unless the car is over heating. Over heating a high speed sounds backwards. Normally higher speeds cool the car off faster unless the thermostat is stuck. A stuck thermostat would over heat idling but it may take a few minutes longer.

I would defiantly figure this out before I put in the new motor. This could be plugged Cat or a sensor, PCM itself or the fuel system. A used engine from the same years with all its sensor may fix the issue but that is a complete roll of the dice plus you are adding variables. Especially if the issue is being caused by a combination of issue and you fix one but make a mistake during the swap.

Someone that does not know PCM codes are is going to do full drive train swap in a PCM controlled car. Sounds like you have a LOT of learning ahead of you.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-28-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
That depends what are you swapping. A Short block or a Long block a used engine with all the sensors (it would need to a similar year engine).

This does not sound like a mechanical engine failure unless the car is over heating. Over heating a high speed sounds backwards. Normally higher speeds cool the car off faster unless the thermostat is stuck. Astuck thermostat would over heat idling but it may take a few minutes longer.

I would defiantly figure this out before I put in the new motor. This could be plugged Cat or a sensor, PCM itself or the fuel system. A used engine from the same years with all its sensor may fix the issue but that is a complete roll of the dice plus you are adding variables. Especially if the issue is being caused by a combination of issue and you fix one but make a mistake during the swap.

Someone that does not know PCM codes are is going to do full drive train swap in a PCM controlled car. Sounds like you have a LOT of learning ahead of you.
well the motor is an Ls3 that came out of my fathers short bed chevy truck he built so when he heard about my project he said the motor could work for that car. Since he is interested in another project now And no the car isn't overheating at all.and you right that's why I'm trying to figure this out before swapping the motor and trans for that exact reason of causing a cause and effect of problems, I'd rather figure this out if I can then fix this issue and then start the swap process. And again you are right I do have A LOT to learn so I figured better now than later since this will be my first self project, I know it won't be cheap or done perfectly the first time around but it's called a project for a reason so I joined this and a few other forums to start this learning process.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

justa fyi, if you unhook the battery it can clear all the trouble codes.

Quick Reply: 1994 camaro help needed ASAP!!