1993/6 cyl. - Vents don't work at all!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Question 1993/6 cyl. - Vents don't work at all!!

Hey what's up everybody, I'm new to this whole forum thing and not a mechanic so please excuse me in advance, but I was wondering if someone could help me out with a 1993 V6 3.4L SFI... NONE of my interior air vents work AT ALL.. I put this in caps because so far everyone else I have spoken to about it suggests heating and cooling repairs such as the thermostat, but no one seems to be understanding that the vents are not working beyond that, as in NO AIR COMES OUT AT ALL EITHER WAY HOT OR COLD... Other than verrrrry seldomly you may turn the **** and hear something seem to come on but then very little air comes out and it's about room temperature, even putting your hand directly on the vent you can barely feel it. This is a major problem since I live in New England and realllly need my defrost to work at this time of year lol. PLEASE HELP!! Also, I was suggested a blower motor, blower motor relay, or blower motor resistor, none of which I know what or where they are. But I'm wondering why if something was broken, why does it even work at all on extremely seldom occasions as crappy as it is, or why can I hear it sometimes, isn't it if something is broken than that's it, it simply just never works again???

Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Its defiantly a blower motor issue. So you have no air flow on any speed setting? You can jump the blower motor to the battery to see if its the motor or the relay. I doubt its the resistor if your getting nothing on any setting.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
Its defiantly a blower motor issue. So you have no air flow on any speed setting? You can jump the blower motor to the battery to see if its the motor or the relay. I doubt its the resistor if your getting nothing on any setting.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I was having problems with my computer as well. No there is basically no air flow on any setting. Like I said, every once in awhile you turn the setting dial inside and you can HEAR something turn on, but then very RARELY does anything come out and when it does, you can barely even feel it with your hand directly on the vent. And it's room temperature. But for the most part, NOTHING ever comes out at all. How do you jump the blower motor to the battery to see if it's the motor or the relay??

Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Could be stopped up as well, mine was full of leaves, I've seen two people post pic of a mouse nest in there's.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the fan is not coming on then check the fuses first, then checm the fan connector wire for power when its on. here is some info on heater
https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...84/#post587081

Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Find the positive and negative wires going to the blower motor, disconnect them and run some jumper wires to the positive and negative terminals on the battery.

Wow that's easy enough huh? Lol thanks and by the way, your car is really nice

Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by fbodyrs96
Could be stopped up as well, mine was full of leaves, I've seen two people post pic of a mouse nest in there's.

In where exactly??! Well this idea really sucks lol, how do I know if this is my problem??

Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 PM
2nd Gear member

probably is the blower motor itself. basically on its last leg. if it was a blown fuse or relay, it most likely wouldnt come on at all. granted a cut up wire could be the cause of a short but it probably wouldnt be seldom. it would be either all or nothing sporadically. so my guess it the blower motor is basically done and is just trying to do something.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Question

Originally Posted by craby
if the fan is not coming on then check the fuses first, then checm the fan connector wire for power when its on. here is some info on heater
https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...84/#post587081

Where can I find the fuses? My fuse box cover is one of the things missing off the car. From the interior that is, on the side of the steering wheel near the driver's door. And how do I check the fan connector wire for power, where is that all located? Also, I'm sorry but I don't understand the link you included. I apologize but as I mention before, I'm sort of a beginner..

Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear member

Quick Reply: 1993/6 cyl. - Vents don't work at all!!