02 Z28 Fuel pump keeps failing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Default 02 Z28 Fuel pump keeps failing

Aloha Everyone,

My fuel pump went out a month ago. Replaced that with new Airtech pump. When installed, fuel presure was 60 lbs running after install. One month later, the car would stall while running. It would start and run for a while and then would stall again. 0 fuel pressure in the rail when stalled. Pump would prime and start a few minutes later until it finally failed and wouldn't prime at all. Replace and installed second pump and also replaced feul pump relay switch as well. Fuel pressure was only 24 lbs running after second install. Immediately after installing 2nd pump, it stalled once, but ran fine after that for a week. While idling for a few minutes, it stalled again. It wouldn't restart and again 0 pressure in the rails. Fuel pump not priming with key in the on position for the second time. I know I need to replace the pump again.

Fuel tank and fuel clean and I did replace fuel filters both times. All wire connection are good. i don't know what else to check.

I am stumped. Did I get two dud feul pump or is there another problem. I appreciate any wisdom and assistance in this repair. A mechanic said it might be the oil pressure sending unit may need to be replace. I don't have an oil pressure problem and the pressure reading is between 30-42 lbs depending on rpm range. And I know that means I need to remove the intake manifold to get to that switch to replace and I am trying to avoid that and the cost.

Mahalo..........poi

Last edited by poi551; 02-17-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Droid

Chack the voltage at the pump terminals. Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Aloha Pete,

No, I haven't done that yet. Yes, filters were changed. Mahalo.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Overdrive Member

how often do you drive the car below 1/4 tank? Fuel is what cools the pump and a fuel level below 1/4 does not provide adequate cooling. Airtex are good OEM quality replacement pumps but they are not for anything above OEM. If you have any mods to the car that may put a higher demand on the fuel system or if you drive your car like it is stolen then you can greatly shorten the life of the pump.

Massey

Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Since changing both pumps never. Car was full when the second pump failed. Driven just for daily commute of 60 miles a day both freeway and city driving. I don't beleive the demand on the vehicle is too hard on these new pumps. The stock pump lasted 9 years before it need to be replaced with non- or the problems I have been experiencing lately. Mahalo for your suggestion. I do appreciate it.

Last edited by poi551; 02-17-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Massey
...if you drive your car like it is stolen then you can greatly shorten the life of the pump.
Massey
How can that be? The fuel pump hums along at one constant continuous flow rate, putting out more fuel than the engine needs. Before the regulator, any unused fuel gets returned to the tank. The pump doesn't know if you're hot-rodding the car or not.
poi, you did keep the strainer on the end of the pickup, and there are no holes in it?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:25 PM

No, strainer is still on the new pumps and also new. I was referring to driving the vehicle harshly and that answer to that was no. The fuel pump did stop pumping while drving at about 25 mph on a few occasions and stalled, it did restart after that though. But the last time the second one failed was at idle in the driveway and would not restart. No priming when the key is in the 'on' position either.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I went thru two Airtex before I found one that worked. Third is the Charm. First one worked good for two weeks and got loud. I replaced it before it failed. Second one was in for 3 days and the car just shut down in traffic. Third one has been working good for about 6 months. I was worried I had something else going on until I found 4 or 5 posts from guys who had the same issue with Airtex pumps. A part guy posted in one of the threads that 10% of the pumps he sells come back within 30 days. I plan on replacing this POS this spring with a decent pump.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:22 PM

Thank you. It comforting to hear that I am not the only one with problems with the Airtech fuel pump. I'll just change pump number 3 and hope it is a better pump. I couldn't understand the desparity between 60 and 24 llbs pressure with the two pumps at the rails. Mahalo and Aloha...................poi

Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Make sure the part store is giving you the right pump. There are differences in the V6 and V8 pump and the fuel pressure is going to vary.

This is the V8 pump
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0401&ppt=C0025

This is the V6 pump.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0401&ppt=C0025

There is only one # different in the part number and they will both fit either cars.

V8 = E3368M
V6 = E3369M

Massey

Quick Reply: 02 Z28 Fuel pump keeps failing