02 Camaro, slew of problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 02 Camaro, slew of problems

Okay, so I've done some searching and I've tried several different things to fix problems with my 02 v6. I hope you great minds can help me out.

• It's started to jerk randomly while I'm driving... it' doesn't happen on a certain gear, or changing gears, or at certain speeds... it's completely sporadic. I think I saw the battery gauge drop when it happened once, but it happens so quickly and randomly that I haven't been able to catch it again to confirm.
  • I can't use my brights. The signal switch doesn't click when I pull it forward. I noticed that it's pulling the side behind the steering wheel forward with it, and when I hold that still I can get it to work, but that's not a feasible option while driving.
  • I get terrible gas mileage. Usually 200-250 from a full tank.
  • Takes about a second for power to get to the wheels in 1st gear sometimes.
  • Idle is rough, especially when the motor is cold. If I put it in gear before waiting about 15 seconds from a cold start, it gets worse.
Now here are the things I've already done to help:
  • New spark plugs and wires
  • New fuel pump w/ sending unit and fuel filter
  • New air filter
  • Cleaned TB w/ TB cleaner
  • Changed oil to full synthetic high mileage
  • Replaced bad radiator and flushed coolant system
  • Replaced bad harmonic balancer
I also have a P0452 code, but as I mentioned the FTPS has been replaced (part of the sending unit). The gas cap has been replaced as well.

EDIT: I should add that I don't know very much about fixing cars, as much as I like them, I'm still learning a lot of basic things.

Last edited by Metalvayne; 06-10-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-10-2015, 12:08 PM
4th Gear Member

how long you had it what kinda miles on it ,sometimes you end up with someone elses problems , did change the distributor too,sounds like you did most what guys do when they bye a used car ,did it run like that when you bought it

Old 06-10-2015, 12:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I bought from a family friend who said it was in great shape, they lied. I've had it for a little over a year now.About 130,000 when I got it, just hit 140,000 recently. The only noticeable things when we got it, seemed like it needed balance and rotation from sitting. I haven't replaced the distributor. It didn't jerk when I bought it, that just started a couple months ago. I forgot to mention, I also replaced a bad ignition coil.

Edit: I thought the car doesn't have a distributor because that's what the coils are for? Just made that revelation a bit late lol

Last edited by Metalvayne; 06-10-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:41 PM
4th Gear Member

You might check for vacuum leaks - split hoses, broken of nipple/hoses, and check intake bellows as all should not have any holes.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
You might check for vacuum leaks - split hoses, broken of nipple/hoses, and check intake bellows as all should not have any holes.
I had a mechanic buddy hook up a leak detector to my car a few months ago and he didn't find anything.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Overdrive Member
Hope this helps...

2002 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro, Firebird (VIN F) Service Manual | Document ID: 707506
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0452
Circuit Description
The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor signal in order to detect vacuum decay and excess vacuum during the enhanced evaporative emission (EVAP) diagnostic. The control module supplies a 5-volt reference and ground to the sensor. The FTP sensor signal voltage increases as the FTP decreases. Negative pressure or vacuum equals high voltage. The FTP sensor signal voltage decreases as the fuel tank pressure increases. Positive pressure equals low voltage. When the FTP sensor signal goes below a predetermined value, DTC P0452 will set.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The ignition is ON.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
• The FTP sensor voltage is less than 0.1 volt

• All conditions present for greater than 5 seconds

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The control module will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test ran and failed.

• The control module will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
• The control module will turn OFF the MIL during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic ran and passed.

• The History DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.

• The DTC can be cleared by using a scan tool.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

If DTC P1639 sets, the 5-volt reference may be shorted to ground.

If the FTP sensor voltage is near 5 volts, the FTP sensor signal and 5-volt reference circuits are OK from the fuel tank harness connector to the control module.

Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: Engine Controls Schematics

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-Engine Controls?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Idle the engine for 1 minute.
Monitor the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information with a scan tool.
Did DTC P1639 fail this ignition?
--
Go to DTC P1639
Go to Step 3

Does the scan tool indicate that the FTP sensor voltage is less than the specified value?
0.1 V
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 4

Observe the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data for this DTC.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text or as close to the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data that you observed.
Does the DTC fail this ignition?
--
Go to Step 5
Go to Intermittent Conditions

Turn OFF the ignition.
Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information
Disconnect the fuel tank wiring harness at the body pass through connector.
Connect a 3-amp fused jumper wire between the 5-volt reference circuit and the signal circuit of the FTP sensor at the body pass through connector.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
With a scan tool, observe the FTP sensor voltage.
Does the scan tool indicate that the FTP sensor voltage is near the specified value?
5.0 V
Go to Step 8
Go to Step 6

Test the 5-volt reference circuit of the FTP sensor for an open, between the body pass through connector and the control module. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 7

Test the signal circuit of the FTP sensor for a short to ground, or an open between the body pass through connector and the control module. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 9

Remove the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement .
Disconnect the EVAP FTP sensor harness connector.
Inspect the fuel tank wiring harness for the following:
• Damaged wiring

• Poor connections

• Broken wires inside the insulation

Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 10

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the control module. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 11

Replace the FTP sensor. Refer to Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 12
--

Replace the control module. Refer to Powertrain Control Module Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 12
--

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Does the DTC run and pass?
--
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 2

With a scan tool, observe the stored information, Capture Info.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs that you have not diagnosed?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
System OK

Originally Posted by Metalvayne
I also have a P0452 code, but as I mentioned the FTPS has been replaced (part of the sending unit). The gas cap has been replaced as well.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the post. Where can I borrow a scan tool from? I don't believe the auto stores around here allow those to be borrowed, but I might be wrong. The mechanic friend I mentioned lives about 5 hours away, so I can't go to him for it.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Overdrive Member

^ NP. Near me, many auto parts stores will scan your codes for you free of charge, including Advance Auto and O'Reillys, perhaps others... Call your local stores, the chains are more likely to do so. Of course these days you should consider getting a WiFi or Bluetooth OBD module and a free or paid iOS or Android app and scan yourself! I plan to get one soon, but for now, this one I own does the trick:

http://www.autoxray.com/product_detail.php?pid=94

I also have HP Tuners, which is pricey and like reading an encyclopedia to learn...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-10-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

How much detail can they provide me with when they scan? I've had Advance scan it before and they gave me codes (which were already fixed and just needed to be cleared) but no other detailed info. It looked to me like their scanner didn't do any fancy stuff. I doubt they'll feel like sitting with me through that process, especially when I don't fully understand it... :/ Can't I just throw parts at it like everyone says not to? lol.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test fuel pressure. see if tank pressure is in fact effecting fuel pressure. how does the exhaust sound, does it seem too quite? maybe hissing. some of this has shades of a plugged cat.

Quick Reply: 02 Camaro, slew of problems