The "Better" Brand???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default The "Better" Brand???

So I'm 18 years old and I just bought my dream car a stock99' 3.8L V6 that is in amazing shape. I am just starting to research about turning it's purr into a roar. I am planning on startingwith a catback exhaust system however there are so many brands out there I just really don't know what would be the best to go with. My first question, Is starting with the exhaust the best thing to do? And what are some of the brands I should stick with as far a performance and durability? My last question is, Where is the best place to have some of this stuff installed to insure I'm getting the best people for the job? Chevy dealer mechanic? run of the mill mechanic shop?

Old 08-12-2007, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: The "Better" Brand???

Depends on how much you want to spend. I would go with Flowmaster or Magnaflow there are some other brands outthere thatare pretty durable. And if it is just a cat back exhaust system you can take it to any reliable mechanic shop and they will do a fine job. I put my catback on My Z28 without any problems and I am by no means a mechanic

Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forums. And congratulations on your new ride. Like Nomadic said flow master and Magna flow are both reputable companies to work with if your working under a tight budget and offer a good sound. You way want to spend some time giving her a good tune up as well. Good plugs, wires, and fluids will help minimize wear and help you get the most out of her. For the most part exhaust work can be taken to any reputable mechanic to get the job done. I would stay away from some of the bigger muffler shops you see on TV a lot of time they will rip younger guys and even older ones off. I friend went to mercents to install his cat back exhaust on his Mazda he already had the exhaust and just had to have it install. They charged him three times what most shops would charge 280 bucks for maybe a hour worth of work.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys. I have heard of both Magna Flow and Flow Master but you both said if I'm on a tight budget. I'm not in a rush to just throw any parts on it. Are those brands the best for your money or are the the best performance? I'm willing to go high if it's worth it?

Old 08-12-2007, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Flowmaster is not know for their performance. Sure they sound good, but to do this they use many baffels in the muffler, which means restriction. Magnaflow makes astraight through muffler whichis the best kind for performance. You can look through one side and see out the other, which means no restriction. I've never heard theMagnaflow on a3.8 so I'm not sure how they would sound. Your never going to get your car to sound like a V8. Mine is stock because I don't like the way any exhaust sounds onthe 3.8, but to each his own I guess. Most people witha exhaust on the 3.8 say it sounds good at lower RPM's but they get a little "ricerish" at higher RPM's.A catback alone is not going to give you much performance, not enough to really notice anyway. Don't believe the inflated numbers from the manufacturer. But it is a good place to start, next do a CAI and maybe some headers and you'll have her breathing really well.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:54 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

My friend had a flow master 80 on his camaro with 2 1/4 piping. It didnt sound bad even at higher end it sounded ok. But he is right about not sounding like a V8.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the feed back guys. Also I've been told if i'm going to have it all installed that it's cheaper to do it all at once. Is there any truth to that? I mean for Exhaust, CAI, and Headers. Also I was told that it's not TOO dificult to throw a cat back exhaust on a camaro? I mean I definitly know how to bolt and unbolt something but if it comes to welds or modifications I'm having someone do it for me. Does anyone have any expirience in that?