82-92 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

Headlight Explanation/Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Question Headlight Explanation/Help

Hello Folks, I am going to most likely sound like I'm completely clueless here, but I assure you I am only clueless about this at the moment because its a subject I have never looked into before and now that its becoming an issue I am hoping someone will be kind enough to give me a useful explanation that I can understand. I have been doing a lot of reading but am not really finding the exact answer that I am looking for so if there is some other link for me to look at please point me to it (politely please, Ive been reading where a lot of people aren't very polite about that and its not from lack of looking its from not looking in the right place apparently if its out there.)

Now onto the issue... I want to upgrade the headlights in my 92 RS, and have been looking into a lot of different headlight setups. I found a housing on ebay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X6-Inch-LE...53.m1438.l2649 ) that I like the look of. Now I like the look of them, and understand that they are not functional for the LED's on the outside, I have a different plan for them, but I like the housing. For the headlight bulbs, I have read that you can use the original headlight bulbs. This doesn't make sense to me because the headlights on the Camaro are a sealed unit so I'm not sure how I would know what to use for a headlight bulb for the high and low beams.

Than to add to that, I would like for them to either be a HID or LED conversion but I have never really worked with either of them so I am not sure again where to start with them or how to know what I should be looking into as far as what to get for Low and for High. I know there are a lot of options involved here from what I have read and there also seems to be a lot of disagreement in this area as well. I just want something that's going to look good on the car (and I'm assuming these housings will look good) and will also be bright enough that I can see those darn deer in time to stop before I hit one.

If anyone has any advice on the bulb choices and can give a good explanation as to why to choose them so that I can have a good understanding and not just spending money blindly (no pun intended lol) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Jim