82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

what can this be ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007 | 08:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: what can this be ?????

Be careful my 86 and my god fathers 86 camaro both had fan problems....both of us changed all the sensors and relays and it still didn't work then the relays would burn out in like a week....I traced the power and it ends up getting lost in the computer so I ran a serperate electric fan switch from my local parts store that had an adjustable temperature setting all i had to do was put a copper tube through my tob radiator hose and run power to it.....Just a thought if you keep having a problem....

Old 06-09-2007 | 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member

If your fan isnt kicking on? then how hot have you gotten it? have you pulled any plugs? you might be on the verge of a head gasket going south! also 180o degree stat thats lower than factory, they like to run hot for cleaer emissions! and lowering the operating temp, might not allow some sensors to open or function properly, i have a 91 rs 305tbi w/195 stat and the fan comes on at 195, to the degree.

Old 06-09-2007 | 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Very good berlinettalover! I know you know, from experience, but you nailed it! the computer controls operating temps, to opens sensors check valves at a predetermined temperature, and you go in there and try to lower those temps! and that computer gonna say oh yeah watch this, game over.[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 06-23-2007 | 11:23 AM

Looks like you guys got it covered. My 90 TPI has a nasty flavor to the coolant as well. I also had the fan problen start a long time ago. And being the control frerak that I am...I just wired a hot-rodder style switch under the dash to run the fan when the guage hit 220. Ya'll have a roc-n-roll day.

Old 07-22-2007 | 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya know i had the same problem, with a rebuilt 350 in a chev van i had, and flushing the rad, helped but keep an eye on it! as it turned out there was a crack in the intake valley and and oil was seeping into the waterjacket on the return flow to the radiator! just some advice hope that your block is sound but, check it, oil and water at least everyday, i do in the morning and when leaving work, but my father was a diesel mechanic, and he would thump us if he did,nt hear the hood slam.