82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

TPI running too rich

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default TPI running too rich

My 85 Iroc-z is running rich as **** its a 305 TPI
it blows black smoke out the *** when i get on it.
any known causes or advice?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:22 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: TPI running too rich

i had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a fuel pressure regulator. is it hard to start, black smoke comming out all the time, and really black when you rev it? also smells like raw gas too when you shut the engine off? if its just a little black smoke when you rev it, thats just a little rich, and can be fixed by a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filters, cleaning MAF, etc.), but if its a lot of smoke like i described, its the fuel pressure regulator. its about a 3-4 hour job, and the hardest thing is removing the throttle cable bracket. the throttle body and upper runner must be removed to get to the regulator. my rebuild kit cost $80, but you can buy an aftermarket, adj. one for about $60. to actually rebuild it took me 3 minutes to do. you will need a tamper resistant torx bit, either t-10 or t-15.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

sounds like my problem, thanks, i'll get me a regulator soon.
did you ever get a smell like burning gun powder...i get that from time to time.
definately smell the gas. after starting it sometimes runs like **** so i have to hold my foot on the gas till it runs right or it will stall out.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

yep, thats the problem i had. i sometimes get the sulphur smell in the mornings, but thats about the only time.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i replaced the regulator....now it runs worse than ever...if at all...it makes a popping sound and as soon as i let of the gas it dies.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:59 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

well that sucks. have you recently replaced the ignition system (cap, rotor, plugs, wires). check your timing to see if thats the problem. is it still coughing out the black smoke? it might also be something with injectors, one may be broken, or there could be a problem with the computer controls for them. are you getting the service engine light at all?

Old 04-01-2007, 02:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well i started it up this morning and it ran like **** for like a minute but then ran fine...now it runs like for i little bit (for 1 to 5 minutes) **** when i first start it up then runs fine. sometimes it will run fine as soon as i start it but it doent happen to often.

no black smoke...the regulator seemed to solve that.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

describe to me what running like **** means. i know i have an issue for cold starts, i need to use eather below 30*. otherwise, it starts fine. its got a rough idle for about a minute or two, then smoothes out. it also doesnt have any throttle response until its been warmed up

Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Also, check youe egr valve, its underneath the upper plenum in the center of the intake manifold. When you pull it off see if it is full of sh*t, and if so clean it out with throttle body and carb cleaner. I had that problem once before. I didnt have the popping noise, but the black smoke and stallling i had.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: microkid

describe to me what running like **** means. i know i have an issue for cold starts, i need to use eather below 30*. otherwise, it starts fine. its got a rough idle for about a minute or two, then smoothes out. it also doesnt have any throttle response until its been warmed up
sounds like mine

Quick Reply: TPI running too rich