82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

t56 to 89 350?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default t56 to 89 350?

i have a t56 6 speed and i would like to put it on my 89 tpi motor. the motor was originally an automatic trans so i dont have the original flywheel or clutch, but i have access to a 10" unit from an 80's ss pickup that appears to work, with the motor anyway (i havent tried to bolt the trans up with it). from what i can tell, it looks like the t56 uses an 11 inch flywheel and clutch. i'd rather have the extra clamping force if possible. does anyone know if the lt1 flywheel bolts to an 89 crank? i cant seem to find a good salvage yard unit to try and i'd rather not drop the money on one till i am somewhat sure it will work.
also, if i do this, what should i do for a starter? with the 3rd gen unit still work (seems unlikely!) any ideas?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm not sure about your flywheel issue, but I do have an answer for your starter. I have a t56 in my 91 rs 350. I used a mini high torque starter off of a vortec motor in my ride. You can use the earlier, more bulky starter, but the way my exaust is ran, I needed a little more distance to keep from building heat in the starter.