82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

removing the smog crap

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Default removing the smog crap

I was going to strip all that smog pump crap out of the stock 305 in my 84 z28 today. Anyone know off hand what size the plugs are I am going to need to cap off the holes in the exhaust manifold? Smog pump is already undone from the belt system so it is ready to be pulled out. I just wanna make sure I cap all those million vacuum lines off correctly.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I dont know about camaros, but on a 1990 dodge truck it was just unbolt it and remove the first belt lol

Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hey man, i wanted do do the same thing to my iroc with the tpi engine. but i figured out that the alternator actually uses the smog pump as a bracket, they share a same bolt. my alt. is on the passenger side, yours may be differnt or you may figure out a way around it. give props to g.m., i dont think they wanted anyone to remove it easily. i just cut the belt and let it go at that.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:43 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smpsn84
I was going to strip all that smog pump crap out of the stock 305 in my 84 z28 today. Anyone know off hand what size the plugs are I am going to need to cap off the holes in the exhaust manifold? Smog pump is already undone from the belt system so it is ready to be pulled out. I just wanna make sure I cap all those million vacuum lines off correctly.

Why are you removing it in the first place? It will not make the car any better at all, in fact it will probobly run worse for the long term, and if you ever move anywhere with emissions, good luck re-installing it. You'd be better off just de-belting the pump and see if there really is a difference. I understand all that stuff looks like crap, but big brother wants it there. I just installed a new motor in my 87 and the dmv wants to make sure everything is original, or they wont register it.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default past headaches

ah memories.... i tried to remove all that stuff from my 84 z28 back when i first got it and it was a headache. i'm with djs383 on this one. there is little or no gain asside from a slightly less ugly engine. the only thing on the emissions system side i would remove is the valve on the passenger side exhaust manifold. it is there for engine warm up and that is great until it sticks and overheats the engine! unfortunately i waited too long to remove that part.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

On my 92 camaro. I dropped a GM ZZ4 350 crate engine into my car. I used the same serpentine system that was on my 305. I bought an AC delete pulley for when I gutted out the AC components and a smog delete pulley for the smog pump. You can get these parts from EBay or from Hawks third generation in easley, SC. Before I had recieved the smog delete pulley, I unbolted the two bolt, long snorkel tube that went to the smog box at one time and let the the smog pump free spin with no purpose but to allow the belt to do its job. I of coarse threw out my computer and 70% of my wiring harness and put long tubed headers on the fresh 350. Problem solved and 21 horsepower gained. need more information, hit me back for digits to these items. i promise a whole different camaro when your done

Old 05-17-2009, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by sammycamrestorer
On my 92 camaro. I dropped a GM ZZ4 350 crate engine into my car. I used the same serpentine system that was on my 305. I bought an AC delete pulley for when I gutted out the AC components and a smog delete pulley for the smog pump. You can get these parts from EBay or from Hawks third generation in easley, SC. Before I had recieved the smog delete pulley, I unbolted the two bolt, long snorkel tube that went to the smog box at one time and let the the smog pump free spin with no purpose but to allow the belt to do its job. I of coarse threw out my computer and 70% of my wiring harness and put long tubed headers on the fresh 350. Problem solved and 21 horsepower gained. need more information, hit me back for digits to these items. i promise a whole different camaro when your done
ok its a lil off topic but that wiring harness that goes behind the motor does that go str8 in to the comp. i know that the a/c stuff is there but the other wires wut r they for.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

from what i can tell from gutting all of the wiring in mine is that most of the stuff going to the passenger side from the back of the engine does go to the computer. a good bit of it is for the ac too though. there is also a harness goes to the drivers side and some of that also goes to the computer but in a much less direct route. yours may be pretty different than an 84 though.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear member

so where does the head and taillight harness come in? thats wut i was afarid of cuttin

Old 05-19-2009, 03:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default the spagetti incident (wiring harness)

Originally Posted by mighty mike
ok its a lil off topic but that wiring harness that goes behind the motor does that go str8 in to the comp. i know that the a/c stuff is there but the other wires wut r they for.

Ok.. to answer your question. A 305 and a 350 have no real difference in capabilities. You can make a 305 into a screamer. Ive done it. I also have turned my 88 iroc-z 350 tpi into a 383 that'll knock your socks off with 500 hp. The current project Ive just completed was my 92 rs with a 305. I now have a crate 350 as I had told you in my last thread, with 420 hp. Funny thing is: I used the same factory wiring harness for every one of these swaps and modifications. There are a million wires in a 305 tbi and a 350 tpi. 60% of these wires are all for smog and sensors. For instance. I took this 92 rs I have that had a 305 tbi in it. I pulled the motor, moved all the wiring aside, took out the ac components. Took a long block 350 ordered from the general. Gutted it. Put all lunati guts in it. Cam, crankshaft, lifters, springs, pistons, etc. I put Edelbrock intake manifold and 4 bbl carb and breather on it. Used the 305's serpentine system of coarse now with ac and smog delete pulleys. Used msd ignition and dynomax long tubed headers. Backed with the factory 700r4 auto tranny with a higher stall converter. Put all this back into the camaro. Bolted everything up and welded the necessaries. The wiring harness I drapped across both sides and took a pair of wire cutters and began surgury. The only thing with this car I needed was the main wires. Alt, bat, tach, temp sensors, oil sending unit wire, starter, tranny wire. Mark these wires before pulling motor with tape and pen. The rest I cut. Then tucked them in with the big bundle of wires behind the motor and along side the passenger side of the motors valve cover. Cleaned it up with chrome covers and braided sheathing for hoses and wires. I threw the computer in the garbage and about 10 pounds of wires, injectors and sensors. That my easy story. The IROC was a pain in the ***. Had to keep all the sensors and wires and computer. Another story for a different day. The taillight wires are no where in the engine compartment. You'll have to do some wire tracing and labeling. All depends on what your doing. I did this to my 92 for 2 reasons. Never again will I see that engine light come on and when you pop my hood open it looks like I have 69 motor sitting in a 92! Very easy to work on and very dangerously fast! Im doing 8's in the 1/4. Kicked my lt1 stock vettes ***.

Quick Reply: removing the smog crap