82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

need help trying to keep my camaro started

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Default need help trying to keep my camaro started

ok hey im new to the forum but i wanna get my camaro running again. i dont know too much about cars but been around them alot because of my dad. but my dad is getting older and jus wanna bas. watch now soo i hope someone here can help me. buti hav a 92 rs 305 motor. and 1 day i saw the 305 325hp forum and wanted to give that a try. but instead since i live in DC andemissions are a pain. butbas. i put cat back on. i got the 8.8 wires, bosch+4plugs, accel super coil. jegs hei distr. speed pro double roller timimg set. pushrods, lifters, xtreme energy comp. hydrualiccam. with 462. 469 lifts and soon headers. so im finished putting it in the thingsbut, andmy dadsaid hewould adjust the rocker armsfor me(since i dont kow how)so ididnt tighten the valve covers fully buthe told me to put 2 bolts in tohold it.butim having prob. keeping it on. like i would go to try and start it, it willl turn over and sometimes start. but when it starts up it shuts right off, and i can tell that the car is trying to stay on cause when it cuts on it will idle then drop and shut off,idle then drop and shut back off ever time i start it.sigh, i dont know how to explain it well, but i know i love my car to death and that i wanna drive it again. so i hope anyone on here can help me please and thanks for reading.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: need help trying to keep my camaro started

Phew! That was a long sentence! I can loan you a few periods if you need them. . . . .
From your story, it sounds like your dad hasn't adjusted the rockers yet? If not, get that done before trying to run the engine, otherwise you run the risk of doing some valvetrain damage.
Also go over the basics, checking that the spark plug wires aren't crossed, and that everything else is connected, like electrical/sensor connections. Be especially sure that the wire to the oil sending unit/sensor is attached. Vehicles with electric fuel pumps have a safety feature that will shut down the fuel pump if your oil pressure drops to zero. To avoid an explosion in the event of a crash, after the engine kills, the fuel pump will shut off so that a possible broken fuel line won't keep shooting out gas and go boom. It sounds like you may be burning off the initial fuel pump's prime, and your pump might not be running with the engine?