82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

my 305

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
are you serious about thinking you can toss in a rebuild kit without any machine work?

It's like I'm building a house and worrying about lamps not realizing I must wire the place and install a breaker panel. You need to get the infrastructure built correctly before you can do anything.

I know those magazine articles sure seem nice and the misinformation which permeates around forums happens so much that it seems like fact vs fiction. There is also the human nature part about wanting to believe and denial.

The issue with the 305 is not so much the displacement vs the small bore size. Also, you will find many more parts available specifically for the 350. The 305 is what it is and there was nothing wrong with it as a basic engine. The problem is people who kid themselves into thinking it's a great building block for performance.

If you are saying that a generic used 350 in your area is selling for $1200 then you don't live in the contiguous 48.
I know about the problems with 305 engines. Did you not notice that his 305 is all he has to work with? He said nothing about swapping anything in.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by camaroteen82
I know about the problems with 305 engines. Did you not notice that his 305 is all he has to work with? He said nothing about swapping anything in.
it's a simple math problem and this isn't about trying to be right or wrong. It's common sense and cost/benefit.

The OP who has a 305 asks the same question that almost every single owner of a 305 asks...........how do i get more performance.

It then comes down to how much money and time will one spend before realizing what has been understood for over 20 years; it's not worth spending a lot of time and money on the 305 if your goal is performance greater than a Honda minivan.

Look, I had a 305 TBI and rebuilt it, installed headers and an open air element. I was not looking for performance because I already have 2 of those types of cars. I just wanted a stock rebuild and the 305 was spirited enough for me. If I wanted any type of performance I would not have spent a plug nickel on the 305.

You get what you get when you buy a sixer or 305. If you have even the tiniest inkling that you want more giddyup then you are only fooling yourself when you buy the vehicle.

So, the OP can enjoy what he has or come to the realization that many like him have discovered over the past 2+ decades. Imagine that, for longer than many on this forum have been alive it's been known that you swap the 305 if you really want performance

Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Jeeeeez.....you guys are way over-thinking, and over-building this guys 305 plans. Nowhere did he say he wanted a hi-perf engine. Actually, he never said anything about what he wanted to get out of it. He may be perfectly happy with what a few minor modifications will give the 305, and you guys are essentially debating on what's the best engine for the money to get him down the 1/4 mile.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Jeeeeez.....you guys are way over-thinking, and over-building this guys 305 plans. Nowhere did he say he wanted a hi-perf engine. Actually, he never said anything about what he wanted to get out of it. He may be perfectly happy with what a few minor modifications will give the 305, and you guys are essentially debating on what's the best engine for the money to get him down the 1/4 mile.
Don't ever accuse me over-thinking let alone thinking at all.............

how many times have you seen the "how do i get performance from my 305" question?

Then, you can almost bank on someone posting a link to the car craft article with a "325hp 305" and giving the wishful OP false hopes.

best engine to get down the 1/4 mile inexpensively.........that would be Suzuki or Kawasaki if you don't mind riding on only 2 wheels

Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't ever accuse me over-thinking let alone thinking at all.............
how many times have you seen the "how do i get performance from my 305" question?
Then, you can almost bank on someone posting a link to the car craft article with a "325hp 305" and giving the wishful OP false hopes.
best engine to get down the 1/4 mile inexpensively.........that would be Suzuki or Kawasaki if you don't mind riding on only 2 wheels
Sorry, wasn't trying to suggest you were giving it any thought at all. lmao
Just sayin, we should first find out what he's after before trying to drain his bank account.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Sorry, wasn't trying to suggest you were giving it any thought at all. lmao
J.
now that's more like it.................hey, wait a minute :-)

Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Say i had an old iroc with a 305 **** that car would scream,i had a good performance cam all kinds of things,hell go find you an 86 in a yard get the computer and the harness tuneport inj....mine was a beast ....

Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

it's a simple math problem and this isn't about trying to be right or wrong. It's common sense and cost/benefit.

The OP who has a 305 asks the same question that almost every single owner of a 305 asks...........how do i get more performance.

It then comes down to how much money and time will one spend before realizing what has been understood for over 20 years; it's not worth spending a lot of time and money on the 305 if your goal is performance greater than a Honda minivan.

Look, I had a 305 TBI and rebuilt it, installed headers and an open air element. I was not looking for performance because I already have 2 of those types of cars. I just wanted a stock rebuild and the 305 was spirited enough for me. If I wanted any type of performance I would not have spent a plug nickel on the 305.

You get what you get when you buy a sixer or 305. If you have even the tiniest inkling that you want more giddyup then you are only fooling yourself when you buy the vehicle.

So, the OP can enjoy what he has or come to the realization that many like him have discovered over the past 2+ decades. Imagine that, for longer than many on this forum have been alive it's been known that you swap the 305 if you really want performance
V6s are faster then you think. People have gotten them to do the 1/4 mile in 8.6 seconds.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:00 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by camaroteen82
V6s are faster then you think. People have gotten them to do the 1/4 mile in 8.6 seconds.
Sure they did, at a cost and expense that 99.9% of the forum members here don't have.

All he was saying that for what they are in stock form, the v6s and 305s just aren't on the same level as the 350.

If you had a choice between a v6, a 305 and 350 Camaro, all equally priced and in perfect condition, are you really going to pick the v6 or 305? Chances are no, you're going to go with the 350.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Sure they did, at a cost and expense that 99.9% of the forum members here don't have.

All he was saying that for what they are in stock form, the v6s and 305s just aren't on the same level as the 350.

If you had a choice between a v6, a 305 and 350 Camaro, all equally priced and in perfect condition, are you really going to pick the v6 or 305? Chances are no, you're going to go with the 350.
With the amount of money I have. I'd pick my 3.8 over the other 2 any day. It gets good gas mileage and still can do decent burnouts.