Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 V8 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v8-tech-13/)
-   -   Just got a Camaro and having some issues (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v8-tech-13/just-got-camaro-having-some-issues-70996/)

Camaro 69 08-12-2012 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Al'swhite92 (Post 639351)
So Im replacing the valve covers and got the drivers side done and was needing some advice on the passenger side cover. It has this thing over it that has a pipe ging to the back of a pump looking thing (bottom left pulley in pic) but one of the tubes going off of the thing goes to small pipes connected to each exaust manifold. So I am thinking EGR stuff? I need to get a hanes for it.

That's the AIR pump, it's an emissions thing. It pumps air into the exhaust manifolds to oxidize any unburnt gas, and then the cat converter will burn it up. There's another air tube that goes down and into the cat to help heat it up faster. That's separate from the EGR. The first picture shows the check valve, part of the AIR system.

Al'swhite92 08-13-2012 08:47 PM

Well thats bizare but thanks. I drove it today and the air intake manifold is blowing out a liquid from either side at the front. The oil pressure is unusual also. 3 is the middle 6 is the top and the needle will go to 6 decently easy but after running for about 20 minutes the needle goes down more but is still not very steady.

Al'swhite92 08-13-2012 08:50 PM

I will see if I can bring it into my auto class thats starting tomorow (Im in highschool and go to a tech school). Do a vac. test on it

macertheracer 08-17-2012 09:16 AM

fuel pressure??? could be a fuel filter, if it sat very much I'd look at these first. your High speed run may have stirred the tank up and moved it all to the filter. more than likely dirt and water mix.

Al'swhite92 08-21-2012 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by macertheracer (Post 640230)
fuel pressure??? could be a fuel filter, if it sat very much I'd look at these first. your High speed run may have stirred the tank up and moved it all to the filter. more than likely dirt and water mix.

I could check that. I believe I have a pressure tester for it. Nother issue though after I bought it I put gas in it and some came out of somewhere above the axle and went on the ground. It stopped and didnt leak anymore and hasnt done it since when filling up. But today there was some leakage on the guard above/behind the axle so is this something sort of common with these or should I take it into work when I have free time and put it on the lift and see if I can see anything. Although should probably do that anyway. And is the pump inside the tank or external? I did get to bring it in and do the oil not to long ago but didnt have enough time to do a real good inspection.

Camaro 69 08-21-2012 09:27 PM

The pump is inside the tank. The leak up high could be from the sending unit gasket, the sending unit itself, a split gas line, or a rust hole in the tank. The exhaust is below the tank, so I'd want to find that leak. Take a mirror with you for when it's on the lift, and see if you can spot anything on the top side of the tank. A gas leak should leave clean(er) streak marks.

Al'swhite92 08-21-2012 09:53 PM

Okay thanks. Definitely dont want to blow off the rear end of my car a couple weeks after I bought it.

Al'swhite92 08-29-2012 10:43 PM

So I figured out the issue with it dieing. It was the ignition coil going out. It finally died a few days ago and had to have AAA tow it to an auto shop my dad used to work at. For the fuel leaking issue there was a recall on the fuel pump and sending unit which is soldered into the tank so I should be able to get that fixed for free I believe and I will also have them do a coolant flush and replace the intake manifold gasket which fluid is bubbling out the front of after I shut it off

BasicConcepts 08-29-2012 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Al'swhite92 (Post 642215)
So I figured out the issue with it dieing. It was the ignition coil going out. It finally died a few days ago and had to have AAA tow it to an auto shop my dad used to work at. For the fuel leaking issue there was a recall on the fuel pump and sending unit which is soldered into the tank so I should be able to get that fixed for free I believe and I will also have them do a coolant flush and replace the intake manifold gasket which fluid is bubbling out the front of after I shut it off

i might be wrong but i dont think chevy is going to honor a 20 year old recall

Camaro 69 08-29-2012 11:43 PM

Recalls are safety issues, nothing to do with a time limit warranty. There is one recall restriction based on the age of the car though. If the car is more than 10 years old at the time the recall is issued, the manufacturer isn't required to fix it. The recall (#94V077000) is on the fuel filler neck solder joint by the way, not the sending unit. It was issued April 25, 1994. Your car was 2 years old at the time of recall, so they should still cover it......unless the recall has already been taken care of by a previous owner.