82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

I need tech. support on how to "PROPERLY" adjust air\fuel mixture on my 1985 camaro V-8 w\Rochester

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:58 AM
Default I need tech. support on how to "PROPERLY" adjust air\fuel mixture on my 1985 camaro V-8 w\Rochester

How many turns do I go out when I start with the adjusting screws all the way in? Any "FOR SURE" advice would be greatly appreciated, please no guessing, I've allready tried that LOL.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: I need tech. support on how to "PROPERLY" adjust air\fuel mixture on my 1985 camaro V-8 w\Rochester

You need a vacuum gauge and a tachometer. Unscrew the mixture screws the same amount on both sides (2-3) turns. Adjust idle speed screw (air screw) to the proper idle RPM looking at the tach. Adjust both mixture screws evenly to get the max vacuum reading. Adjust idle speed again, adjust mixture screws again. Repeat one more time & you should be set.
Sick, being a carburator type, can probably add some good info.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:07 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: I need tech. support on how to "PROPERLY" adjust air\fuel mixture on my 1985 camaro V-8 w\Rochester

Theres alot of different methods to adjust idle mixture. ALL involve a vacuum gauge. the way i do it has alot to do with how it sounds and isn't very scientific LMAO so here's quote i found ... tried it and it works pretty well. he's talking about a holley but anything with idle mixture settings will relate " The best way to set the idle mixture is to lean the carb out until the vacuum just starts to drop, then richen the mixture by about 1/4 turn. If you have a bit of a stumble in very light, low speed operation, sometimes it helps to richen it up by another 1/4 turn. " be sure to read the whole site tho, i found it enlightening... http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm ... sick

Old 07-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Default RE: I need tech. support on how to "PROPERLY" adjust air\fuel mixture on my 1985 camaro V-8 w\Roches

Since I have just spent the past couple of weeks on this issue, I have some very good advice for you. You are going to want and get a DWELL/TACH/VOLT ANALYZER. It isn't going to make that big of a difference in the begging in which Carb you have to do this. Seat the idle mix screws all the way down. Then open each side 1 1/4 turns, while you have the dwell hooked up watch the idle needle as it moves. You are going to want to open the screws in equal amounts, probably half turn at a time. You are going to keep opening them as the needle keeps going up. You are going to stop right as the needle starts going down. So right at the point of which the needle stops going up and starts to fall on the DWELL/TACH/VOLT ANALYZER. From there you are going to back off your idle screw adjustment on the throttle body and put the distributor where it needs to be. You can get me low end torque out of it by advancing the timing more and have the idle adjustment screw further out, but be careful not to do this to much for you will start to cause pinging of the engine. Depending on what brand of Carb you have might change which idle screw is which but I know for a fact that on Edelbrock the left one is air and the right one is gas.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:14 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: I need tech. support on how to "PROPERLY" adjust air\fuel mixture on my 1985 camaro V-8 w\Roches

If you had to rebuild your carb you should have a spec sheet. I always used that and they give a great starting point. From there it would be just a slight adjustment of the idle air screws for a good of idle throttle response. If you can not gauge the butterfly opening Then that screw out and turn it until it just touches the lever then , while the engine is off of course, turn the screw until you just see the butterflys open. Remember though, those screws are for the idle. not part or wide open. for a change there you would replace the primary jets and secondary metering rods and hanger. assuming its a q-jet.