82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

I got shafted BIGTIME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Default I got shafted BIGTIME!!!

Well as most of you know, last week I traded my truck for an IROC...Dealer said it was the 350tpi model...Excited and in a hurry to get it, i didnt investigate...Ran the vin today after reading an article on the web about not being able to visually distinguish the 5.0 from the 5.7, and found out that it was the 305...On top of that, the sticker price for the camaro was $2999.00. They are now selling my truck for $5000.00...Im a little upset...Happy as hell that I have my camaro, just disappointed that I was lied to and it isnt the 350...I know there is only a 10hp 200rpm difference between the two...but still...Now what the hell should I do...build the 305 or find a 350 to put in there???

Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Fancy Sparkle
Default RE: I got shafted BIGTIME!!!

depends on what you want to use it for. if you're looking into auto-x, i'd stick with the 305, that's more than enough hp for that kind of racing. now drag racing or road racing, i'd go with the 350 (or maybe even bigger). you can make some pretty good power out of a 305 (and they're pretty much indestructable). is it and auto or manual??

Old 10-03-2008, 02:38 PM

its an auto...and I only like street/strip racing...

Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Overdrive Member

Is it documented that they said it was a 350? The BB diffence would be $250 more for a 350 over a 305 TPI. Maybe you can get that much back. Might even want to try even if its not in writing that it had a 350.

And truck always have a better resale than cars do. I know a guy that took a 2 year old Toyota 4x4 to the foothills and traded it straight across for a brand new Z28. 4x4s' sell good there and it was worth it to the dealer.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well, any time you trade in a car, you get the shaft...period. Dealers are in business to make money. And if they don't get it from what you buy, they'll get it from what you trade in. It also sounds like your truck is worth a bit more than the Camaro, so they should have owed you money! Not gonna happen though. Did they advertise the Camaro in print as having a 350, and also have it stated that way on the bill of sale? If so, you can go after them legally since it was false advertising, and misrepresentation on their part to inflate the value of the car. A 350 IROC is worth more than a 305, and they need to know what they're selling. Them saying "gee, we didn't know" ain't gonna fly legally. You either need to talk to a lawyer, orgo into the dealer and threaten to, and demand to be financially compensated...or else. This is a time where you have to act pissed to get results.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:51 AM
4th Gear Member

My estimate is that at least 50% of 305 TPI's are sold as 350'
s to unknowning buyers. You are now crying about being taken but too bad, you didn't do your homework. My opinion is you are SOL. Anyone who buys a used 350 car better check it over very carefully. First method is check the Vin numbers8th digit is a "8" engine code (350 TPI) if it is factory stock.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's all well and good, but how many people actually run the VIN to do a complete check before buying a car so THEY KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE? THE DEALER DOES, but not many buyers do. AND, if the dealer advertised it, presented it as, and stated it as a 350 in the sale, then they are in the wrong for misrepresentation and are to be held accountable. That term "buyer beware" pertains to unstated facts, or other hidden problems. This car was presented as a 350 out in the open by the dealer. Now, if it was being sold by a private owner, and he just happened to say "it's a 350" in passing conversation, but he didn't put it in writing anywhere, he can say "oh, I never said that" and it's your word against his. If it's in writing by the dealer when it's clearly not the case, that makes them a documented liar, and you have a leg to stand on.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:34 AM
4th Gear Member

You DO NOT NEED to run the VIN, just open your eyes and look though the windshield at it and look for the Number "8" in the 8th position for a stock 350 TPI. But I guess this too hard for some people to understand.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Blacky, you're splitting hairs on the terminology I used and by-passing the point. The DEALER DOES "RUN" THE VIN through Carfax to see if there was any bad vehicle history. And while they're looking at the VIN, it will also tell them what engine it has. They would know damn well what they have.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pfft, don't feel too bad. I knew mine was a 305 when I bought it and paid 3 times as much as you did.

Still, now that we're identical, we must meet~ :v

Quick Reply: I got shafted BIGTIME!!!