82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Hi! Need help! Engine stalls intermittently!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Unhappy Hi! Need help! Engine stalls intermittently!

Hi, all!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been around other car forums, primarily Olds & 442-specific ('65 "post"), but also Camarosource.ca & F-BodyEurope.
I live in Germany, so there isn't quite the expertise available if you can't find a solution yourself & try a local shop, even if they specialize in American cars- there ARE a number of them, including the shops on US military installations.
Anyway, I've been trying to solve this problem for over a year- no success!
The car just quits running occasionally at about any distance driven (anywhere from right after starting up to maybe 70 or more miles).
From what i've been able to put together by observation is that the only common "thread" is that when it quits, it's out of gear or the clutch is depressed. It will "hesitate" & the "check engine" light will come on when in gear, but it "restarts" while driving. The computer's been read out 4 times, only once has it showed a code. That time it showed a "mass sensor" problem, so I replaced it. 2 weeks ago, I found an older guy that specializes in American cars & he said he'd encountered the problem- had to do with the sensor that sends intake temp (?) to the computer. He replaced it- no luck!
I'm down to grasping at straws. I've had every wire & hose checked TWICE, by 2 DIFFERENT people, plus myself!

The car is a '92 Z28 ragtop I bought spring '93, almost new looking, well-maintained, just under 58,000 miles! Check the avatar!

Anybody have any ideas?

PLEASE????

A very FRUSTRATED

Ralph

Last edited by Z28 Heritage ragtop; 09-29-2009 at 04:04 AM. Reason: car info
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

from what i know, the 92 shouldnt have a mass air flow sensor. both the tbi and tpi were using a manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor to meter the air flow. however, if it fails, the engine will just run like crap and not stall intermittenly. however, intermittent issues are hard to find and are usually an electrical connection that shakes just right to lose contact. it sounds like it would be ignition or fuel related if its throwing a code and doing it at random times

Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 AM

C'mon, guys! No one else???

Ralph

Old 10-02-2009, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by microkid
from what i know, the 92 shouldnt have a mass air flow sensor. both the tbi and tpi were using a manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor to meter the air flow.
Right! Just used the wrong word!

P.S. STILL no takers????

Ralph

Old 10-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Intermittent problems are no fun. It would be a lot easier if you could get it to kill in your driveway. But when it does, you need to check for spark or fuel. Carry some tools with you and wait for the next time. I have a little pen shaped check light that you lay on a plug wire to check for spark through conductance. That would at least narrow your search down to it being one of two things. If no spark, it could be a bad coil, ignition module, wiring, etc.
If you have spark, the problem could be your fuel pump going out (they're not always black and white when it comes to dying out). Or you could have a loose or broken wire connection, fuel pressure regulator, etc. When it kills, can you hear the pump prime if you turn the key on and off? Pull the vacuum hose off the regulator, any gas in there? (sure sign of a bad regulator) Check your fuel pressure at the rail when it quits. If it's a fuel supply problem, the engine will run the gas out till it kills and pressure will drop to zero.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 10-02-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 AM

I had the same prob on mine. Two things were going on. 1. Vacuum leak. 2. Fuel filter to be changed. No prob after this. (also added antifreeze for fuel in the tank to get rid of any water in it - sat for two years)