82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Help!!! Cant Read Tire Pressure on door!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Default Help!!! Cant Read Tire Pressure on door!

I have a stock and well maintained1986 Camaro Z28 Iroc-Z with the 305 and i cant read the freaking tire pressure chart on the side door and i dont remember were the manual is or anything... could someone tell me what it is on theirs.. i dont care as long as its 3rd gen z28 iroc. help please!! and thanks!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Help!!! Cant Read Tire Pressure on door!

look at the tire

Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Overdrive Member

^^X2
The vehicle manufacture or door does not know what kind of tire you replaced the originals with. The tire manufacture would know what pressure to use for their technology and thats why they put it on the side.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 AM

thats what everyone does wrong.. you dont read the side of the tire because it will just tell you the maximum pressure which is some where around 44. the tire pressure is on the door or somewhere else inside everycar.. doenst matter what kind of tire.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Overdrive Member

You are way off on that theroy. Lets say your OEM tires were a three ply sidewall and you replaced them with a cheaper more affordable two ply. The door sticker could show a higher pressure for the tires than the max pressure on the tires themselves. Looking at the door sticker could be where foord owners went wrong. The sticker recomended too low a pressure for the tires and weight of the suv's.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
4th Gear Member

You can notgo wrong using 32/35 PSI....

Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

86 & M.M., you're both right....sort of.
A tire that is properly suited for the car that it's installed on will fit within the pressure requirements established by the manufacturer. Recommended pressure on my 91 (door sticker) is 30 F/R. But, I always put in more than recommended in all my cars. My tires are rated at 44 MAX, and I try to keep around 36 psi in the tires. I like to put a little more than listed mostly to get better gas mileage (less rolling resistance), and to also have a little buffer-zone for any small amount of air loss.
Maxing out the tires pressure isn't the best idea for a few reasons:
1) It makes the car ride like a truck. Being able to roll over a dime and tell if it's heads or tails isn't the best for comfort!
2) Overinflating can cause more excessive wear on the center of the tire, wearing it out before it's time.
3) An overinflated tire puts your tire-to-pavement grip more in the slicker than shiit zone. A hard tire won't squish & roll as much around a turn, which you may think is better for more stability, but you're actually left with less rubber on the road.
So I would go with somewhere in the middle, between the car's recommended and the tires max pressure.
That was an easy answer, eh?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member

hey camaro .....it took a lot of words to say don't over inflate your tires.....i also use around 36 psi in mine......but it depends mostly on what kind of tire and how you like your ride..(bumpy or smooth)

Old 07-01-2008, 02:19 PM

true that.. if my rims are the same size they were and the tires are the same width.. than it should be what the car says. and yah matters where you live too cuz the tire pressure can change everyday from air temp.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: black89rs
hey camaro .....it took a lot of words to say don't over inflate your tires.....
Yeah, I know. But then the next ? would have been....Why?

Quick Reply: Help!!! Cant Read Tire Pressure on door!