82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

headers not for the weak of heart

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default headers not for the weak of heart

I finally changed my headers out because ive heard so much about having it done in this forum. IT was such a *****! and i forgot to put a coat hanger where my dipstick should go into the block and now i cant get it to go back. I think that the headers are to big , do they sell dipsticks any where that will fit with after market headers? I must say it was a great move even if it took 2 days! good luck to anyone else who tries without an experinced person with them.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: headers not for the weak of heart

what type of car do u have? some models really can be a pain.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

its a 1991 rs 5.0 and it was horrible! i also had to cut out all of those metal pipes that hook to the stock headers. I got rid of my a/c thing that hangs toward the fire wall, oh and a bunch of rubber tubing that didnt seem to go anywhere. The tubing just connected to itself over and over agian but didnt really connect to any of what i think are the vital engine parts.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

And one more question. in addition to the new headers i just got some new 8mm spark plug wires aside from the rest of the exhuast(im running open headers,and yea its really f****** loud)what should be my next move? anything would help just keep in mind i have a limited budget and a limited amount of time to do this in. thanks guys!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

man i totally forgot my new headers had a hole that wasnt completely drilled for what i think is the o2 sensor(im not 100% sure) but the guy at autozone said that i didnt need it. however my car is now throwing the check engine code as well as spitting oil from the hole that the dip stick casing is supposed to be in! some one please help!

Old 05-03-2008, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

the hole in the headers r for an o2 sensor the same with my truck i do think u need and o2 sensor if its fuel injected

Old 05-03-2008, 05:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

what kind of problems am i going to notice without the o2 sensor? and why did that guy lie to me at orieleys(sp?) So am i going to have to take the drivers side header off and drill the rest of that hole out?

Old 05-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Ninja Administrator

ur car will run like crap. the only o2 sensors u can ditch are the ones behind the cats

Old 05-03-2008, 05:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

it seems to be running very well, is this something that i should be worried about? Aside from the oil leak and the absoultley insane volume of the car i dont seem to be having any problems. what should i look for?

Old 05-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Ninja Administrator

if you dont have any o2's up front the car cant determine your fuel trims. and it will either try to calculate based on the 0 voltage reading, which is not good, or it will just go into speed density mode. if youre in speed density you dont need the O2's..... and older cars might have been like that anyways, i really am not sure, so you may be fine. i posted the last answer without scrolling up to see ur a 91

Quick Reply: headers not for the weak of heart