Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 V8 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v8-tech-13/)
-   -   Headers. (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v8-tech-13/headers-17775/)

brandino 08-10-2007 01:41 PM

Headers.

When buying headers.. does the name brand really matter? I see that most people buy Hooker Competetion headers but other than the intlet/outlet size of the pipes, does it really matter which ones you get? For example: Jegsbrand headers $90, compared to Headmann brand headers at $325.
**1986 camaro; all headers are shorties**

02blackonblack 08-10-2007 08:54 PM

RE: Headers.

I have an 86 iroc and just got hedman shortys. Hedman is VERY reasonable in price and they're great, check those out at summitracing.com

brandino 08-10-2007 09:53 PM

Okay thanks.
I was just referring to the fact that with some parts, just because the of the brand name you spend $100 more or whatever the price may be. I didn't know if mabye the brand didn't really matter.

Eagle223usa 08-11-2007 05:55 AM

Alot of that price depends on how well they're engineered, Fit, tuned, Y pipe included, Coated? Ect. Most people have problems with "inexpensive headers" due to poor fit. Just my .02.

91rsvortec 08-11-2007 12:01 PM

For my 91, I first bought the long tube Elite brand from Hedman. I did not have a ground clearance problem like most would think, however the driver side header was so tightagainst frame, it would not allow me to tighten it properly onto the head. I returned the long tube and got the shortyand aY pipe from Hedman. I again bought theElite. Even though these are the shorties, the clearance to the frame is stillvery small. I went with the Elite because it is coated and it usesa thicker gauge steel. The Y pipe isnot coated and is the smaller gauge steelwhich isused on cheaper headers. You can really see and feel the difference.Icant speakfor the otherheadercompanies, but Hedmanhas given megreat tech support.

As far as which to buy, cheap VS pricey, it will come down to personal preference. Ask yourself: How nice is the car? Is it a beater or a nice steet rod? How long are you planning on keeping the car? If you are in it for the long haul, then like most everything else, you get what you pay for!

Here are the part numbers from Summit that I used:
HED-68478(headers) HED-17478 (Y-pipe)

MadMikeZ28 08-11-2007 02:33 PM

Brand name don't always mean ****. My brother had either hooker or headman (I think it was hooker) that leaked like a mother. I got some Earls type fitting. I got Summit and Russels brands and they leak. I get the good Earls and they don't leak. Russel is a brand name. Its the Mr. Gasket/ Edelbrock company. But I guess its just a crap shoot at times.

350rs 08-11-2007 04:45 PM

a big part of installing headers is to just go ahead and buy a good set of gaskets. That alone can stop a lot of leaks.