82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Finally drove the 69

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Finally drove the 69

Came home from Iraq for r&r and finally drove the 69 for the first time. What a blast to drive. I took a drive around the block to get used to the 4 speed. I took it to get inspected only after changing the front turnsignal bulbs and replacing the spring in the horn. Passed without any problems. That same day I had the hooker headers and exhaust installed. Had them dumped before the exhaust, but got tired of the fumes and did the whole exhaust to the back of the car. Car got stuck in 3rd gear leaving my friends house. I downshifted pretty fast. Fixed the problem when I got home. Have not given me any problems after that. It needs some work. I ordered new carpet with underlayment, new door panels, Hyperflex full suspension bushings, and new radiator core support. Talked with my buddy who owns a paint and body shop and he will do the paint and body work when its time. Right now I'm back in Iraq and the 69 is in the garage at parents house. Dad takes it out once a week. He wanted a 69 chevelle in the garage, but he said he can deal with my camaro. There will be a 69 chevelle in the garage for him either for x-mas or his birthday.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:09 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Finally drove the 69

Thought rocks man, thanks for serving our country.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 AM
June 2007 ROTM

nice job. Whats are you doing next on the car?

Old 09-21-2006, 11:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Really don't know what I'm gunna do next. I want alot of things but its kinda hard with me over here. New crate motor, new suspension, new carpet, new paint. My next r&r I might put it in the shop to get rid of the vinly top and get the body straight and painted tuxedo black with ghost flames. It needs little things right now. I will wait for the bigger stuff when I get back . I will be working on it right next to my buddies 69 Z28 when we both finish with Iraq. I will go ahead and order the little stuff now, because I hate waiting. That way it will be ready for me.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:33 PM
June 2007 ROTM

Yea that sucks having to wait but atleast u know the car is in good hands right now. Just do one project at a time. do the suspension. what are you going to do to it? what kind of upgrade u looking for?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I know that I will be changing all the bushings and be putting subframe connectors on. I also want to get a nice stance to it. There are alot of ways and items out there to do it with. Going to change the drums in the front out for disc brakes. Once all that is to my liking some Foose rims will complete the package. It runs fine now. So when the engine is out and being worked on I will have her painted. I 'm very impatient with things. I know it will take time, but I want it all done ASAP. $$$ is no problem to a certain point.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:42 PM
June 2007 ROTM

have u given any thoughts towards the tubular subframe? how about 4 way disc brakes?

Old 09-22-2006, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, actually, four wheel discs are overrated. The two wheel is honestly the way to go, since the front brakes take about 75% of the stopping load, and the rear take the other 25%, the need for discs in the back is minimal. Not to mention the fact that the addition of disc in the back will make it easier to put too much stop in the back and mess up your tires in quick stopping situations. If, however, a four wheel disc system is used, be sure the pistons in the rear calipers are about 1/3 the size of those in the front (that's total surface area for all pistons, if a multi piston caliper is used, by the way.) as well as the pads. In any case, though. I'd go with a fixed caliper design, Wilwood makes some really nice brake kits. I'm thinking about getting a four piston fixed caliper set for whatever I get to replace my Third Gen. Whatever you decide on, best of luck with the whole thing, and post pics when it's done.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:26 PM
June 2007 ROTM

Value goes up with 4 way disc set up.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:28 PM
2nd Gear member

That may be, but it doesn't mean it's better for the performance of the car, nor does it mean the value will go up as much as the difference in the cost of reart disc, over a quality drum system. There's also the option of running a larger drum setup on the rear, like an 11 inch. Like I said, though. If the pad and caliper sizes are well planned out, they're great. In any case, any upgraded brakes, infact, any wothwhile upgrade, will make the value go up. If they don't, you'd be selling the car to the wrong person.

That is all.

Quick Reply: Finally drove the 69