82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

FI or carbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:22 AM
vjs
Default FI or carbs

Hello,
I am new here and still looking for a V8 3rd gen to buy.
And just the question if it is better version with carbs or FI to look for?
Personally me prefer FI as You can double turbo charge it, but I agree that carbs it is something more authentic to american muscle?
Any help, please?

Old 09-13-2007, 01:12 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: FI or carbs

Welcome to the forums. I prefer carbs over fi because they can be tuned, just me though. With fi systems you dont have to deal with vapor loss due to up hills or launching but I just dont like how they look and there are more to them than carbs.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
vjs

Thank You.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I prefer carb myself. There simple, and there are so many to choose from.
When you get involved in all the computer electronic stuff it gets confusing.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

and why cant you turbo charge a carb'd engine? its actually easier than force inducting a fuel injected engine, less electronics to worry about, dont have to figure out what size injectors you need etc.
plus carb'd engines are much cheaper to work on.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Droid

Pressurizing a carburetor can be done, but it is a real PIA. The carb can only work with about 10 PSI of fuel pressure before it starts flooding. Forced induction can put a lot more pressure to the carb than the pump has, and that prevents the gas from flowing. There are bunch of schemes to correct this, from letting the charger pressurize the fuel tank, to pumps that change pressure in sync to the incoming air pressure, but they all are high maintenance items. The other problem is the carb jetting, the jets have to be big to pass all the fuel the engine needs, and this creates driveability problems when off boost. The best way to use a carb with forced induction is to have the air sucked through it by placing it before the charger rather than behind it. That is why you see carbs on top of roots blowers. Because of the high fuel pressure used by fuel injection and the flexibility afforded by tuning the computer, blow through system work much better with fuel injection.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

personally i have had both a carburated and a tpi. if ur not gonna be racing then i would got for tpi u get better fuel economy and is more responsive in my opinion. also you get more power with tpi.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:51 PM

throttle body is the best of both carbs have to be tuned constantly based on weather and so forth for maximum performance where your pcm can do this for you the reason i would pick the tbi over the tpi is because without alot of work the tpi is only good on the lower end to about 4800 rpm good torque but no top end with the right tbi setup and a good tune you can get both

Old 09-16-2007, 11:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i disagree i have a gm performancecrate 350 with TPI and it is strong all through the rpms it doent fall off until it is out of steam over 145 and has stock gears.. my only problem is my trans went out in od and drive but oh well sounds like a rebuild

Old 09-18-2007, 03:04 AM

i find that odd everyone i speaks to has nothing but complaints about the top end of theyr tpi

is yours modded? or stock?

Quick Reply: FI or carbs