82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

FI to Carb Swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default FI to Carb Swap.

Im not really sure whats involved in swapping over to the carburated system. I'm not really fussy for the FI system. I think it's just too much work and would rather buy a carb/air filter and bring it to the local General Motors to do. I just heard there wasalot of work. i know the FI system isn't as effiecent as the Carb but you can TUNE you're car without spending $$$ for a good Comp chip. Or If its easier what kinda chip to get then please, dont hesitate to help me out.

If it helps, i own a Iroc-z 86 with a 350fuel injected 5speed manuel tranny.
Car had a engine swap.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: FI to Carb Swap.

does your engine have the access for a mechanical pump? if not just the fuel pump alone you could be looking into a couple hundred, its not that hard of a swap(except for a few check engine lights lol) but its not cheap, if you dont have that access i would put the cost at atleast 1500 for a cheaper setup

Old 08-26-2007, 11:11 PM

There is 255LPH in tank feul pumps for your Camaro on eBay for $68. that you can run on a carb'd engine. You will have to get a fuel pressure regulator I beleive. I don't know anything about the computer setup on the car though, I am still trying to find that out for myself. I would go carbuator for your car and remove all electronics. You can upgrade your engine to what ever spec.s you want, and not have to reprogram any chips or get a stand-alone system if you run too much horses. It will also make everything less complicated under the hood.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:19 AM

when you dump the FI for a carb you lose the computer too. in the older ones its pretty much there for running the injectors and your o2 sensors but you only need the sensors with FI so computer is useless

Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM

I assume this is a multi port fuel injection not throttle body injection?? Easy way would be to get a regulator with return port. You then can use your stock in-tank pump, but I seetwo potential problems with that. If your stock in-tank pump ever craps out and those regulators can be expensive.

Secondoption would be to install an electric inline pump. I went with Holley Red. It mounted near the tank and I was able to use the factory power and ground wires that went to the stock pump and it does not require a return line. I removed my stock pump but I have heard others say they left the stock pump in the tank and let the inline pump pull the fuel through the stock pump. I wouldnt trust it myself.

Third option would be a mechanical pump, butthere are two very important issues. One does it have the fuel pump eccentric on the camshaft? Two was the block machined for the fuel pump push rod? I would guess in your year engine it was machined for it since Chevy was stilltrying to use up all those blocks that were set up for carb. Later years like my 91 they were not machined for the rod so they did not need to use a fuel pump block off plate. Good luck with whatever you choose! Let us know how it turned out.