82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Do you guys think this car is worth 1600.00?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 02:16 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Do you guys think this car is worth 1600.00?

ORIGINAL: 1983camaro

so madmike , do you think it is worth 1100 , thats what we got it knocked down to. i can get a fender for like 60 bucks and QP's for about the same each. p.s sorry for that guy acting like a smart a**, i used to be the same way and realized how stupid i made my self look.
Who is acting like a smart azz?............Well any who.
Its really hard to say what its worth. What you have to look at is, is a Camaro a car you got to have? If so then are they plentiful where you are at?
Me, I have to always have a third gen Camaro. But here in Cali there are enough of them to go around and I would not buy one with that much cancer on it. If I had to, I don't care how well it ran (it would have to run decent)but I would not spend more than $800 like Coveted suggested.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Make sure you look around at other cars. Two things about that car bother me. If the car was taken care of then was the body let go? Rust is rarely selective the idea that the rust has only done cosmetic damage seems very optimistic. If you are not 100% sure of what you are looking at take it to a mechanic spend the$25 and have it put on a hoist by someone that does not work for the place selling it.

Fenders are easy to change tho getting them aligned can be tough. Quarter panels are not so easy.You need either some serious skills ina well equipped shop or a fat wallet to do a nice job on Quarters.
Here arefinish auction from ebay that sold!, I am not sureif you have to be logged in to see these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-CA...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IROC-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-TOP...QQcmdZViewItem

The first two are pretty sweet the third states its got some rust issues and sold accordingly.
Good luck!

Old 12-25-2007, 08:25 AM
1st Gear Member

i know the car is not as bad as the third auction, as far as the floor board goes. the fender shouldnt be a problem, ive swapped them out before with no problem . i have a friend who can do body work, and theres a shop where i live that will do the QP work for between 500-750 $. i mean, im not lookin for this tobe a done in overnight type deal. since its the car ive been wanting, im gonna spend a few years on it fixing it up/ im startin with the body then movin to the interior , then what ever comes next.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I guess cars are just cheaper out here. I have $850 in my IROC so far and the price will go down as I sell off my parts car stuff.
I'm shooting for Zero dollars spent but probably not realistic because I still need to buy tires and such

Still $1100 sounds like alot to me for a rusty '83

Old 12-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As a X-GM master tech I have helpedfriendswith alot of first time car projects. Some projects worked out great other end up sold for parts. One thing I heard more then anything else is. "I wish I would have looked around and started with a car with less rust" Rust is like a ice burg normally you only see a small part of it. Undercoating, other layers of steel, gas tank, carpetand lack of lightall hide rust. Last thing you want to find out when you replace your quarter is that there is not a soild edge to weld to. It does not have to have a hole to not be strong enough to weld to. So then you need the inner quarter opp's the trunk area is not solid,,,,,

I am notcriticizing youfor wanting a 83 V8 5sp I know what its like to want that car in your garage.Hell I had a 82. I am just trying to help.

This seems like a good deal near you?, One quarter pannel and you spend the rest of you project bugget making it yours not fixing stuff.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/car/492606380.html

Old 12-25-2007, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gorn

As a X-GM master tech I have helpedfriendswith alot of first time car projects. Some projects worked out great other end up sold for parts. One thing I heard more then anything else is. "I wish I would have looked around and started with a car with less rust" Rust is like a ice burg normally you only see a small part of it. Undercoating, other layers of steel, gas tank, carpetand lack of lightall hide rust. Last thing you want to find out when you replace your quarter is that there is not a soild edge to weld to. It does not have to have a hole to not be strong enough to weld to. So then you need the inner quarter opp's the trunk area is not solid,,,,,

I am notcriticizing youfor wanting a 83 V8 5sp I know what its like to want that car in your garage.Hell I had a 82. I am just trying to help.

This seems like a good deal near you?, One quarter pannel and you spend the rest of you project bugget making it yours not fixing stuff.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/car/492606380.html
i went to the dealership today to get a better look at the car, got underneath it farther than i did before and noticed that the floor board has a rust hole on the passenger side. so im holding off on buying this, and another thing i found on it was that the rear sway bar wasnt even hooked up on the drivers side. im just gonna keep checking around for a better car. thanks for the advice gorn.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

ORIGINAL: 305GIRLIE
Negative...
HUH?...
When a person says "Negative" that would usualy mean they are saying "NO". "Affirmative" would be "YES".
No sh@# Sherlock! But negative (no) to what point?
Maybe to the title of the thread Einstein
Did somebody say something smart-azzy? I must have missed it! Thanks for clearing that up Mike. I asked Huh? because 305Girlie jumped in with a simple negatory in response to my post. And because there was a post between hers and mine, that made it look like she was responding to my response, and not the topic in general. Einstein out!!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Did somebody say something smart-azzy? I must have missed it! Thanks for clearing that up Mike. I asked Huh? because 305Girlie jumped in with a simple negatory in response to my post. And because there was a post between hers and mine, that made it look like she was responding to my response, and not the topic in general. Einstein out!!
Who knows. Maybe I am the one off my rocker and it was a negative in response to your post. I will check for more clues after tea time.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:09 PM

A general rule of thumb when buying a used car. Can youturn around and sell it for the same price tomorrow?Another rule of thumb, unless it's an extremely rare vehicle worth restoring, rust only makes it a parts car.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 PM

I wouldnt buy this even if it is for a Father/Son project you will spend more in the price of the quarter panels and Fenders than the car is worth I would find something with just minor surface rust ( the rust you can brush off with your finger) or no rust at all the car looks like the rust is very deep and would most likely be in the doors and underbody. It would be a very bad deal to me!!!!!

Quick Reply: Do you guys think this car is worth 1600.00?