Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 V8 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v8-tech-13/)
-   -   Burning oil on startup (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v8-tech-13/burning-oil-startup-29135/)

Rawr12345 06-19-2008 07:18 PM

Burning oil on startup

I was just wondering if any other 3rd gens have had this problem yet. Normally when i let my car sit for a bit and do a start up i will see blue smoke coming from my exhaust. my buddies dad told me it was my valve guides possibly leaking oil in there and then when i start it up it burns it.

just wondering if anyone else had this prob

73camaroSS 06-19-2008 09:47 PM

RE: Burning oil on startup

sounds like the same problem in my 73 but mine does it more when you start it in the mourning. not any thing bad just a little oil, hey at least weknoware cars are well lubed when they start.lol

coprunr 06-19-2008 10:24 PM

most of the time it is the valve seals not the guides. the seals get dry and crack after time. when you shut the engine down,some of the oil in the heads runs down the valves and seeps past the seal and onto the back of the valve, so when you start it that little bit of oil gets burnt , and you see the blue smoke.

bezerker 06-21-2008 03:32 PM

My camaro does this as well. Mostly when I start it up. Though it continues to do it while driving but very slightly.

MadMikeZ28 06-21-2008 08:42 PM

^^You must have really bad seals and maybe worn guides to go with then
My 84 did the same thing. Small amount of smoke on start up after sitting a while. Common thing

350rs 06-21-2008 10:19 PM

umm. what about on startup and under heavy acceleration??? mine does it and it has less than 20K on it.. not like it matters cause its gettin a complete rebuild soon. but im curious.

MadMikeZ28 06-21-2008 11:06 PM

You might of had a bad break in and its getting some oil past the rings.

bezerker 06-22-2008 01:36 AM

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

^^You must have really bad seals and maybe worn guides to go with then
My 84 did the same thing. Small amount of smoke on start up after sitting a while. Common thing

Yeah.. im worried shes gonna show her signs of her age soon. only 89k miles on it but I can tell the previous owner ran her like ****.

Now after the rear ending as well ugh. So much work to do to this baby. I'm wondering if I might be better off just looking for another one. Put so much money into this one though, :P

86IROCZ305 06-29-2008 07:41 PM

mine does the same thing. smoke at start up, and a little under heavy take-off.

i was told by a buddy at napa they used O-Ring Seals instead of the "umbrella" seals. supposedly you can upgrade them to the "umbrella" type and they don't leak like the O-ring seals.