82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

92 Camaro Cat Converter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 AM
3rd Gear Member

Craig,

Be careful on doing that deal with your buddy. It can go VERY wrong for him if the right people knew, or you were in an accident. When I lived in Pa (luzerne county) I had a buddy do my inspection stickers and then later emissions when our county came on line with those standards. Worked well for both of us. My point is that he had done stickers for friends and relatives to help them out. A buddy of his had an accident with motor home that had removed emission devices and bad brakes. Long story short he no longer runs and inspection station.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:17 AM

I hear yah, Maybe I will just go with a better flowing cat =/ which i really don't wanna do because right now i'm blowing major dollars on my car ATM and that would be even more. Everyone tells me the no cat sound is pretty cool. You guys are a huge help. Thx for warning me about the sensor issue, I'm glad I wont have to deal with it. My headers are being replaced. I have a set of Hooker headers that have sprung a leak. Replacing with the same ones.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by djs383
I read that as if he was installing new headers, or replacing old ones....Rarely in my experiences are people replacing headers and drilling/tapping 02 sensor threads. Since he mentioned skirting emissions, I'd also assume non smog headers leaving no "bung" to tap through....
That would also mean that those same people are wondering why their engines are running piggy, why they are getting bad gas mileage, and why their exhaust fumes are burning their eyes. Based on the readings it picks up from the spent fumes in the exhaust, the O2 sensor knows if the engine is running rich or lean. It then tells the computer to make adjustments to the incoming air/fuel mix to keep it in check. An O2 sensor isn't there as an emissions control device, it's to make sure the engine is running efficiently, and correctly. Low exhaust emissions is just a by-product of the O2 sensor's function, since it keeps the engine running with a proper air/fuel mix.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 AM
4th Gear Member

When I made my 350 swap I installed SLP 1 3/4 headers,
3" in/out Catco cat and SLP 3" Catback exhaust and left all the stock Emission controls on the car and still had performance. I lived in a state that required testing and I passed with no problems. I now live in a state that dose not require testing, do you think I am gone to remove anything for MINOR gains in performance... NO.
Right now I could sell my car in any state and it would pass Emissions testing.

Now tell that to someone who want to remove a Cat and other Emission control parts for big gains on thar 305TBI grocery getter when he has tuning problems and can't sell it.

Best advice for a STREET car is to leave the Factory Emission equipment alone, Drag car only... strip the Sh-t out of it.

Last edited by blackz87; 03-16-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by blackz87
When I made my 350 swap I installed SLP 1 3/4 headers,
3" in/out Catco cat and SLP 3" Catback exhaust and left all the stock Emission controls on the car and still had performance. I lived in a state that required testing and I passed with no problems. I now live in a state that dose not require testing, do you think I am gone to remove anything for MINOR gains in performance... NO.
Right now I could sell my car in any state and it would pass Emissions testing.

Now tell that to someone who want to remove a Cat and other Emission control parts for big gains on thar 305TBI grocery getter when he has tuning problems and can't sell it.

Best advice for a STREET car is to leave the Factory Emission equipment alone, Drag car only... strip the Sh-t out of it.
Well I hear there are inexpensive ways to make a 305 TBI pretty peppy and i'm giving it a shot. Thx for everyones input about the cat. I'll weigh in my options and make a decision. All i usually get is how much of a POS "grocery getter" my car is. At least here i got that bashing plus a lil more. Eventually i'll just drop money on a 350, but for now this is the car I have, only 19 and i'm not made of money. Everyone says "stop wasting time your car sucks, get a 350!" easier said than done... =/ Thx for everything again.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Craigbr15
All i usually get is how much of a POS "grocery getter" my car is. At least here i got that bashing plus a lil more.
See....this is a full-service forum. You don't get that just anywhere you know!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 PM

HAHAHAHA true story! thanks

Old 09-18-2009, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I think most of us at one point want to go with a 350 with some ***** to it, but for starters... yes a 305 TBI isn't much, but there are things that can be done to it and really? Who cares... if it's a daily driver, you don't want it to have TOO much *****. here in NYC I am satisfied with my 305 TPI in my iroc. If I get spare cash I plan to put in a 350, but since I just got a house I don't have much spare cash.

Besides... just means I race to the next red light faster.

:P
Speed and power is of course always important, and the true importance, but sound and fun are up there for most people as well.

Enjoy your 305 TBI, just realize that you're working with lesser quality than a 350... In reality you could probably save up and get a 350 with the cash you are using to hook up the 305, but at the same time, maybe you'll be on that 305 for years, so enjoy it while you have it!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Default End Result

Ok guys thanks for the help here's my piece. I'm Finished with the car i got one of those High Flow cats from the shop in town and they fitted it on with new Hooker headers. WOW what a difference the old hum/gurgle noise i was looking for from my flow masters has returned. I still here what sounds like a huge leak coming from where the Y pipe meets the header. Maybe the shop didn't tighten it enough? When i look under the car there is an odd amount of space so possibly it wasn't a direct direct fit. Anyone know if this sound is normal? I seriously have been trying to get this camaro to push all its air and engine discharge out the back for over a year now. Getting tiresome. If the shop finished my car and heard the leak why would they not do something before giving it back to me? Thats what makes me think maybe this sound is normal for the new cat. If anyone knows what would help please let me know. I really wanna avoid taking it back to the shop and tying it up further. I was thinking of putting a double gasket? and Tightening the poop out of it. Will this work, or cause more issues?

Sorry for the long post, and the insane amounts of questions.