82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

87 Iroc-z

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 87 Iroc-z

Hey, I'm only 16 and My dad was talking to me about a car a guy brought to his shop willing to sell. It is an 87 Iroc-z with T-tops. I believe it is red and needs some outer body work and maybe paint, its goin for pretty cheap. I want something Fast and good looking. You think this will suite my needs?

Old 05-02-2007, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 87 Iroc-z

if your not responsible with it then you should get something not so fast. because you can ruin your future with a bad driving record. not lecturing just a point. im 20. and sometimes i have to remind myself to fight the urge to speed everywhere. not only is it safer but it saves gas lol. anyway. a 3rd gen camaro is a sweet car. and you will love working on it. especially having t tops. if its goin for under a grand. take it. if you or your dad think it would need too much work and its over a grand let someone else have it. your 16, you also need something reliable. its awesome having a camaro, but it sucks having a car that doesnt work proper and you dont have the funds to fix it. so just keep that in mind. but if you take it, congrats, your in for a hell of a ride.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

eh, thanks for the reply, but it didn't work out. It needed alot of outer body work and just wasn't worthe the cash. damn im pissed though, i was excited lol... hope i have better luck on the next one!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:09 AM
March 2008 ROTM

well, im 19, 18 when i bought my camaro. I bought it a year ago this month... ( wow, i just noticed, my one year ann. with my girl! ill have to get her something special!) anyway, since then ive prolly put in about 2 grand in parts and oil. Not to mention all the gas... So just be ready to spend some bank when you get yours.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

good looking, yes, fast, absolutely not, but more then enough power to get you in trouble

Old 07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

vampyricoIs 100% Right.. Im 18 and i just Picked up a 86Irocz with a 350FI dropped in. Lets just say im still Scared of this thing. I've already got hauled over for Reckless Driving and Window tint, I think i got a bit lucky. only got warnings...so far. She is a PIG on gas but noneoftheless a AWESOME car i must say. Im upgrading as we speak. : ) Shes gonna be one hell of a ride!

Getting her painted and gutted. the whole Shabang. : )

Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Lol it seems 18 is the age you get a 3rd gen.... Its a new right of passage or something Im also 18 and just got my 3rd gen, my 3rd car.

I dont think you would get into too much trouble, stock 3rd gens arent that fast, but if you mess up (wreck,ticket, etc...) your insurance will be through ther roof. 3rd gens arent a bad car though, stuff for small block gm's are dirt cheap, and parts for these cars are everywhere.

Besides, if you get a 3rd gen right now, im pretty shure the prices of them cant get any cheaper, they have to go up as time goes by.... but so does fuel costs

Old 07-13-2007, 12:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Wow, I really feel like an old fart. lol I'm 27, but when I was 18 I had a '65 Mustang with a 289 V8, and an '84 Bronco with a 4" lift, so I can relate to the troubles with . . . ahem . . . respecting officers' author-i-tay. lol

I will agree with everyone else in saying that these cars are a great point in whichto get into the automotive world. Dirt-cheap parts, etcetera.

Also, I read an article in CarCraft where they predicted that the 3rd Gen F-bodies are going to be the "next big thing". With 1st Gens becoming more rare and even more expensive, and 2nd Gens . . . well, 2nd Gens are just plain ugly . . . the 3rd Gen cars are priced right, and there is just about no limit to what can be done to these cars with enough time and money.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Amen to that!!!

Right now how much do you think you can get for a 3rd gen with Paint, Interior and in good shape for? Im talking Canadian Prices? a couple Aftermartket parts here and there...? 7,000$ - 10,000$?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ummm . . . I'm not sure of the USD - Canadian dollar conversion, but I bought my '91 RS about five years ago for $1200. Runs strong, has a few upgrades, could use a new paintjob. I would say it's a great Fifteen Foot car; from fifteen feet away, it looks great, but when you get up closer you can see it has some scratches and cracking in the paint, and the interior could use some work.

If I were going to pay $5000 for a 3rd gen camaro, it had damned well better come with some trophies, or some impressive 1/4 mile slips! lol

Quick Reply: 87 Iroc-z