Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 V8 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v8-tech-13/)
-   -   383 stroker in a third gen? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v8-tech-13/383-stroker-third-gen-7945/)

microkid 10-31-2006 06:51 PM

383 stroker in a third gen?

i was considering plopping in a zz383 in my 3rd gen z28. however, my brother says it wont fit without cutting out the fenders and tubing the front end. i plan on getting a tranny and rear end to go with it if it fits. will this engine fit without cutting, chopping, or anything else? how hard would it be to go from TPI to a carb setup without swapping the computer? i would want to keep my stock iroc hood to keep it looking stock so people wouldnt expect it to have a 425hp engine in it.

94CamaroSFI 10-31-2006 07:00 PM

RE: 383 stroker in a third gen?

Thats crazy. I had a 400 cubic inch small block in my 86 z and still had plenty of room. That 383 will fit no problem. you wont need the computer for a carbed app. and you wont need to change the hood. Put up some pics when it gets done. No cutting, nothing. Are you going for an auto or a manual trans. the 700r4's (stock auto) are good for quite a bit of horsepower. I'd just get a shift kit installed on your stock tranny. I would also get the B&M megashifter for 165.00 it is made to fit the console of an 82-92 camaro and you can shift it like a manual 1-2-D-OD and also theres a safety switch that you have to pull up on to get it into reverse so you wont drop the transmission into reverse accidently at say 70mph. check out summitracing for that

blackz87 10-31-2006 07:03 PM

Its a 350 SBC in size and will drop right in. Also if thats your bothers advice, I would not ask him any more questions, because he does not know what he talking about. If you have Emissions Tests in your state forget about this swap.

microkid 11-01-2006 12:12 AM

i have the emmisions in this state, but not in this county. he thought it wouldnt fit if it had tall valve covers and thought the carb would be too high to fit under. he has more experience with trucks than cars, but he knows what he is talking about.

for a tranny, i beleive it was a richmond 6 speed i was looking at. i think it was a double overdrive (5th and 6th), which would be good for highways and a 4.10 rear gear.

MadMikeZ28 11-01-2006 01:50 AM

Your brother is on crack!
The valve covers dont stick out far enough to hit the hood or strut towers. I had a carbed 84 and I installed the edlebrock egr intake wich was 1/4 inch higher I think and with the stock low profile air cleaner it just rubbed the hood insulation.
You cant change a fuel injection to carb using the same computer. Even if you use your same fuel injection you'll need another computer, knock sensor and maybe injectors. I know TBI has different injectors for 305 and 350.

81CanuckZ 11-01-2006 02:44 AM

The 383 stroker is a chevy small block. They all have the same external dimensions other than the newer LS1 style ones. I knew chevy small blocks were all the same size on the outside when i was like 9 years old. Your brother needs to get his facts straight.

microkid 11-01-2006 11:35 PM

like i had said, he wasnt sure and was more or less expressing his concerns so i wouldnt get my hopes up. how hard would it be to go from tpi to carb?

MadMikeZ28 11-02-2006 04:09 AM

TBI to Carb you would either have to do away with the computer and that includes getting a distributer for non computer cars and doing away with the emmisions. Or get a computer and computer controled carb to go with it. But that rout dont seem too sensable. Here in California you can only upgrade and from TBI to carb would be considered down grade.

FlufyTiger 11-02-2006 01:27 PM

While you're at it with the trans, a commonly overlooked item, yet one of the most crucial, is the transmount. Get Urethane mounts if you're planning on running anything over about 250 ft-lbs, the rubber ones will just end up being shredded by all the torque. It's worth an extra $25 or so to save the heartache of blowing your tranny up after spending a few Gs on it.

microkid 11-02-2006 11:44 PM

mad mike, its tpi (tuned port injection), not tbi.