82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

350 engine swap (i'm prepared to be hit for dumb questions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 350 engine swap (i'm prepared to be hit for dumb questions)

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

ORIGINAL: White Comet

^ i checked out the faqs, on some other forum someone said that no one ever swapped a 1st gen 350 into a 3rd gen camaro. i know everything will bolt up nicley as far as motor mounts, ps and other things, but i was told that everything woudl have to be rewired. i dont believe that for a second though
All pre 87 350's ARE THE SAME! Then the only differences from 87 and up were center bolt valve covers, and one piece rear main seal, then as you get into the newer crap, that is completely different. Everything you need to know is in that FAQ.
and the 86 year is like the b@stard child.old style heads with one piece rear hahaha

Old 01-18-2008, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

All pre 87 350's ARE THE SAME! Then the only differences from 87 and up were center bolt valve covers, and one piece rear main seal, then as you get into the newer crap, that is completely different. Everything you need to know is in that FAQ.
they're all the same? huh, didnt know that. another question i have is pretaining to the distributor. the distributor for the engien has a plug with 3 wires and the one off the car and the v6 has 4 wires (im guessing ones for the tach). im just trying to figure out how to wire it up. and for some odd reason the chiltons guide says that the distributor wires from the v6 go into the fuel injectors. that cant be right so can anybody let me know as to what color goes where

Old 01-18-2008, 02:24 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Honestly I cannot really tell you. In the chiltons you are looking at the wiring schematics, correct? so long as you know how to read them you should be able to figure it out.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 PM

yeah my brother was looking at it wrong. we have all the wrires for the distributor figured out. now we just need to figure out what the wires on the mallory distributor are for

Old 01-18-2008, 09:21 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You did do something about the in tank fuel pump, correct?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:32 AM

what do u mean? its being removed since were using one off the block if that what u mean

Old 01-19-2008, 08:29 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, so you did remove it? Just making sure because the mechanical pump would not be able to pull very efficiently through it.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 PM

it hasnt been removed yet but were getting to it, if i could figure out how to id post pics of the progress

Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Use an image hosting site such as photo bucket, it is free and works great, just upload your pics onto your free account, then when you post just click the little square that is yellow with a mountain then paste the url into the box.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hey W.C., another option for the fuel pump is to keep the electric one in the tank, as long as it's working, and put a fuel pressure regulator under the hood, before the carb. The regulator will step the pressure down so the carb can handle it. Or, maybeyou're looking forward to ripping the back end out of the car to remove the pump?

Quick Reply: 350 engine swap (i'm prepared to be hit for dumb questions)